Premed 101 Forums

Im Subspecialty Match Process

PurpleS

Just a few general questions about the specialty match process. I know if you don't match to your specialty of choice after 3 years of GIM, you automatically go to the 4 year GIM program. Can you reapply to a subspecialty after your 4th year?  I know you can apply to match to another institution for your subspecialty - how does that work? Do people do electives at other schools similar to how electives work during medical school? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I think to do academic GIM, you might need the full 5 yrs, but yes you go to the 4yr for community GIM. Yes, the subspecialty match is like CaRMS all over again and you can match to another institution for that subspecialty. It would make sense that you can do electives at other schools, especially if you're aiming to interview and match to that school. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

for second part of carms, you only get 1 chance in your lifetime.

So if you don't match after applying to carms once, you can never reapply.

The only exception is Critical Care.

ha no pressure there. Have to love all these single point failure points in the system. Although like normal carms I here the match rate is quite excellent. 

Archived