Premed 101 Forums

Looking for a place in Montreal...

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hi

I'm going to try and rent a place in Motreal for July 1st. I'm going to be making a trip out there (from Van)...I'm thinking sometime in late May or early June. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of when exactly would be the BEST time to go (i.e. when there will be the most available). I don't want to end up having to make 2 trips!! I'm trying to narrow it down to a specific weekend so that I can book a flight.

Fun times!

Guest byjude

Ahh, move-in day. You should have no problem finding a place for July 1!

I'm not the expert on Montreal here, so someone else can probably offer better advice, but I do know that a lot of student accomodations near McGill are posted during the school year even, so I would imagine the earlier the better. If you didn't know, July 1 is the day most landlords try to begin/end leases so everyone in the city is moving on that day, and that's when a lot of the student leases change over as well. So in planning for this day, I imagine a lot of people will post as early as possible, since it's not like other cities where people move on the first of whatever month they choose.

Word of advice, if you can avoid it, try not to move in on the first. The streets will be clogged with moving vans and minivans and trucks and people all around will be moving in and out. And although July 1 is a holiday over the rest of Canada, this is only a technicality in Quebec, since they prefer to celebrate their national holiday a week earlier, on Jean-Baptiste day.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Thanks- I did know that everyone moves on July 1st and that is why I'm planning to sign a lease for that time. I'm not actually moving out to Montreal until August but I thought it would be much easier to get a place for July.

I'm thinking of going over the May long weekend (24th). Hopefully that will be early enough to not have missed anything...do you think that I should go even earlier?

Guest medicator007

Pearly Whites,

Apartment hunting in Montreal (especially around McGill) can be a VERY frustrating experience. Vacancy rates are very low in this city and a disturbing trend of finder's fees (illegal but common practice) has been a serious problem as of late.

One way I know lots of my colleagues have managed to find good places is to take over apartments from upper year med/dent students who are either moving away for residency or moving to get closer to the teaching hospitals in the case of med students. I would definately advise heading over to the Med/Dent student portal (address is over the McGill Med forum) and post a message seeing if someone can't help you out perhaps.

Thats just my advice, though if you have any other specific questions I can try and help.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest byjude

Another addition to what the Medicator said:

There are a lot of opportunities to sublet from students in all areas of study who are leaving Montreal with an "option to renew", ie, if you rent from them for a few months over the summer, you have a better chance of being able to continue with the lease.

Word of caution with these, there's no guarantee you *will* be allowed to continue the lease. It varies from place to place - some landlords will be pretty accepting of the exchange (especially if you can meet them before you accept the sublet, and they like you, which, being a professoinal student, I'm sure will be a huge plus), because then they don't have to hunt for a new tenant. It's worth considering - especially if you can arrange to speak to the landlord as well as the current tenant and make more confirm arrangements. Not sure if this has changed or become password protected, but I know there is also a general housing website for all students off of McGill's main page - just look under "Classified ads".

• 3 weeks later...

are u still looking for an apartment?

i am now living in Mcgill rez, and i would like to sublet my room to u start July 1st.

However, my lease ends at July 31st.

i was wondering during the month, you will have more opportunites to find an ideal apartment for you.

Archived