Premed 101 Forums

Czech Hospital Placements Program - Can It Prove Valuable To Me?

Hello,

I was always interested in emergency medicine and I thought it might be great experience to participate in a program abroad to gain a new perspective on the job. I was searching the possibilities there are, and I found this thing called Czech Hospital Placements Program. The page about their emergency department says that you can observe the doctors even during night shifts and it all seems really exciting.

But I am not sure, if I want to participate, because I don't know anyone who has already experienced it.

Don't you guys have any experience with this program? Any help is appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

Sounds cool, but you can probably find things like this in Canada if you start off volunteering in an emergency department and then network with some doctors (i.e. ask to shadow, offer to get involved with their research). Also, another concern would be whether you speak the same language as the people you're shadowing/the patients. I would definitely try to find others who have been on this program before going...

Sounds cool, but you can probably find things like this in Canada if you start off volunteering in an emergency department and then network with some doctors (i.e. ask to shadow, offer to get involved with their research). Also, another concern would be whether you speak the same language as the people you're shadowing/the patients. I would definitely try to find others who have been on this program before going...

Thank you for the response! I think so, too.

I actually want to get some experience in Canada as well. I just thought that it might be interesting to be able to compare the healthcare in these countries. And on their websites they claim that all the doctors you can shadow in the hospital actually speak fluent english, so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem. I would like to join the program, because it seems really interesting, but sadly, I didn't manage to find anyone who has already participated in it...

• 1 month later...

Unlikely - we have pretty strict rules from the college that we have to follow re. trainees. If you don't have a trainee's license (e.g., medical student), it's going to be very difficult (if not impossible) to 'shadow' a physician in Canada. 

Archived