Premed 101 Forums

4 Courses Per Semester/1St Year

Hi all, 

I was wondering what this course load only for the first year will do in terms of eligibility to medical schools in Canada. Where is this frowned upon/not acceptable? I can't undo what's done but I plan on taking 5 courses/semester here on out. 

Note: I am taking 30 credits/year. 6 credits during the summer. 

Thanks! I am sure this will help others as well since a lot of people are asking about this. 

For Ontario, the only thing that is affected is your eligibility for the UofT wGPA. You have to take 5.0 credits between sept-april

- Western will take your 2 best years that contain 5.0 credits each. The credits must be within Sept-April.

-Queen's is the most recent 2 years and they consider 3/5 courses per term as a full course load.

- Ottawa 5.0 credits and you can use the summers to fill in semesters that don't have 5 courses per term

- Mac you'll be fine

not too familiar with OOP schools, but I think you're fine in terms of their weighted Gpa calculations. Someone else can confirm the OOP schools

So to sum it up, the only thing that 4 courses per term in first year affects (long-term) is your UofT wGPA. Unless you have a circumstances that you can document to them, youre ineligible for UofT wGPA.

For Ontario, the only thing that is affected is your eligibility for the UofT wGPA. You have to take 5.0 credits between sept-april

- Western will take your 2 best years that contain 5.0 credits each. The credits must be within Sept-April.

-Queen's is the most recent 2 years and they consider 3/5 courses per term as a full course load.

- Ottawa 5.0 credits and you can use the summers to fill in semesters that don't have 5 courses per term

- Mac you'll be fine

not too familiar with OOP schools, but I think you're fine in terms of their weighted Gpa calculations. Someone else can confirm the OOP schools

So to sum it up, the only thing that 4 courses per term in first year affects (long-term) is your UofT wGPA. Unless you have a circumstances that you can document to them, youre ineligible for UofT wGPA.

thanks!

Archived