Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...... It probably means rejection, I am really sorry. :( .........

Hmm, I am not sure if that's appropriate. The whole CaRMS waiting game is anxiety provoking; no need to add insult to injury.

Many programs send out invites in batches. Here's why:

Some programs are dividing applications into batches for assigned staff/residents to complete. They all receive a pre-interview score. If one batch is done, they will send out the invites. If any red-flags, they might not send one out. Some specialty programs send out invites to all CMGs. It's just a matter of having a pre-interview score calculated within your batch.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Hmm, I am not sure if that's appropriate. The whole CaRMS waiting game is anxiety provoking; no need to add insult to injury.

Some programs are dividing applications into batches for assigned staff/residents to complete. They all receive a pre-interview score. If one batch is done, they will send out the invites. If any red-flags, they might not send one out. Some specialty programs send out invites to all CMGs. It's just a matter of having a pre-interview score calculated within your batch.

Hey sorry that was not my intention. I thought that the majority of the programs send all the invites together, hence the confusion. 

I edited my previous comment, I am really sorry about any insult that I might have caused  :wub:. Thanks for your clarifications @Trojjanhorse.

The best way to know if programs are sending invites in one shot or in batches, is to contact the program assistant directly  :)  They are usually very helpful.

Hey finalize your travel plans for the invites that you have received so far! The plane ticket fares climb up high quickly :)

Best of luck

So I decided to e-mail the PD & Program Assistant since I still hadn't heard about any rejection, but I got automatic replies from both saying that no one will be answering until January 4th... I suppose I'll just have to wait to finalize all my travel plans until the new year! 

So I decided to e-mail the PD & Program Assistant since I still hadn't heard about any rejection, but I got automatic replies from both saying that no one will be answering until January 4th... I suppose I'll just have to wait to finalize all my travel plans until the new year! 

Hey muffins,

Can I make the assumption that this is UofT Neurology?

Does anyone know if there's a particular etiquette around how long to wait to email Program Assistants about if they are sending emails in batches for programs (ie I know some emails haven't come out but I haven't heard anything either way yet, the concern being a missing email which has happened to a few people I know of this year)

Does anyone know if there's a particular etiquette around how long to wait to email Program Assistants about if they are sending emails in batches for programs (ie I know some emails haven't come out but I haven't heard anything either way yet, the concern being a missing email which has happened to a few people I know of this year)

I waited 1 business day. I was missed in an email chain. Called coordinator, but was on vacation.. so I called program director's office.

Anyone else surprised they didn't receive an invite from McMaster for family? Apparently invites came out today but NONE of my fam med friends or I got interviews which is kinda curious (all of us have gotten invites to every other school we applied to and are all applying only to family). Could they be coming in batches? Any other lurkers secretly freaking out about this? haha

Hey I got a refusal email today from McMaster FM.

If you haven't received anything so far, it is a good sign! I guess that they are sending in batches!!! Keep us updated :)

Anyone else surprised they didn't receive an invite from McMaster for family? Apparently invites came out today but NONE of my fam med friends or I got interviews which is kinda curious (all of us have gotten invites to every other school we applied to and are all applying only to family). Could they be coming in batches? Any other lurkers secretly freaking out about this? haha

On the topic of not hearing back from programs......

Has anyone else also not heard back from McGill and Calgary Anesthesia? I know people who have received both invitations and rejections from these two programs, but so far I've gotten nothing. Just wondering if I should email them in case of administrative errors. 

Also, I haven't heard back from Western Anesthesia, which I assumed meant a rejection, but a friend of mine just received an invitation on Friday. Maybe not all hope is lost?

Thanks!

I am still waiting to hear from Memorial, Mac, Calgary and Winnipeg (Anesthesia). As far as the program description on the CaRMS page says all but Memorial will inform all applicants either way so until you get a no I guess all hope is not lost (I'm trying to tell myself that). My plan was to email Calgary and Winnipeg tomorrow (those are my only outstanding where I would really like to interview) just to make sure it wasn't an admin error.

Question about Calgary Ob/Gyn. I think they started sending out invites on Tuesday and I know someone who got an invite yesterday. They say they notify everyone and I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone received rejection letters yet? How long do I wait before I email asking about if I get an interview or not?

Hey I'm in the same boat. Did you decide to email? I think I'll email late December if I haven't heard. They said they'd let people know by mid December. I know for other programs some interviews go in batches, so I don't want to jump on it too quickly.

I am still waiting to hear from Memorial, Mac, Calgary and Winnipeg (Anesthesia). As far as the program description on the CaRMS page says all but Memorial will inform all applicants either way so until you get a no I guess all hope is not lost (I'm trying to tell myself that). My plan was to email Calgary and Winnipeg tomorrow (those are my only outstanding where I would really like to interview) just to make sure it wasn't an admin error.

I heard back from Calgary this morning, they addressed my rejection letter to Dr. as if flattery would help haha.

Nothing from Memorial, Winnipeg, or McGill for me either. The Mac email said we had 48 hours to confirm our interview spot so maybe they're sending out more today?

Archived