Premed 101 Forums

Img Status For Do In Bc

chr1899

I am interested in USDO, but I would like to come back to canada (BC) for residency. Specifically psych. But with the changes to IMG status for DOs in other provinces, I am nervous to consider this route. Is there any good websites to keep track of this information for BC? I don't want to be in the middle of my education at a DO school and find out that it changed to IMG status in BC as well.

I am interested in USDO, but I would like to come back to canada (BC) for residency. Specifically psych. But with the changes to IMG status for DOs in other provinces, I am nervous to consider this route. Is there any good websites to keep track of this information for BC? I don't want to be in the middle of my education at a DO school and find out that it changed to IMG status in BC as well.

Once you leave Canada, your chance of residency in Canada diminishes really quick - regardless of the route.

There are only 2 Psych spots for IMGs in BC as of now.

If you're going to a US medical school, your most likely option is a US residency.

ALSO: USDO's are now classified as IMG for BC as well, as of 2 weeks ago. 

Most of UBC's IMG spots are in Family Medicine. 

USDO is still a great route, much better than most other IMG options - and you'll be aiming for a US residency. 

If you want a residency in BC as an IMG, it will be in FM, and still be difficult. Just like it is for UBC students as well.

Even if you were a Canadian med student, there would have been no gaurantee you'd get a psych spot in UBC.

Archived