Premed 101 Forums

Transcript With A "w"

Hi guys,

Im currently have the worst mark I've every had in my one class (2nd yr biology course; evolution of eukaryotes) with a C+. The add/drop date is approaching next week and I was trying to gather some comments or recommendations from other students if it would be worth dropping the course and getting a W, or to stick with it and with the possibility of receiving a bad grade ©.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Im currently have the worst mark I've every had in my one class (2nd yr biology course; evolution of eukaryotes) with a C+. The add/drop date is approaching next week and I was trying to gather some comments or recommendations from other students if it would be worth dropping the course and getting a W, or to stick with it and with the possibility of receiving a bad grade ©.

Thanks!

I had one W on my transcript and was accepted last year. I don't think it mattered, whereas GPA could kill you. Do you need the credit? If not, maybe drop?

I had a W on my transcript. There are lots of reasons that people drop classes and rarely is a single dropped class indicative of someone's overall academic ability. Obviously admissions can see that W, but I don't think it's terribly uncommon to see someone with a withdrawal (just based on this thread there are a few of us on this forum alone). 

If you need the course for your biology degree and don't want to pay for it again then it might be worth meeting with the professor to ask about how to improve your performance before the end of the course. Ultimately there is no way of knowing how these were taken into account by the admissions committee. Depending on your timelines, perhaps student advising or a similar service at the university could offer you some more substantial/well-informed advice.

Best of luck in making the decision!

• 1 month later...

Archived