Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry In Hungary

I definitely agree that people should be well informed before choosing any career, especially one that requires such a commitment. So I appreciate Malkynn and Cleanup for offering a holistic view of the profession, I just think that people focus on the negatives too much. To say dentistry is not a great career option anymore is such a stretch, in my opinion. Yes the competition is fierce now, and saturation is an issue, but there are still great advantages to being a dentist. I think it just comes down to making sure that this is the career you want before deciding on it, because when I told my parents (who are both dentists) that I want to go into dentistry, they warned me about how difficult a career it can be and to make sure that this is truly what I want.

I definitely agree that people should be well informed before choosing any career, especially one that requires such a commitment. So I appreciate Malkynn and Cleanup for offering a holistic view of the profession, I just think that people focus on the negatives too much. To say dentistry is not a great career option anymore is such a stretch, in my opinion. Yes the competition is fierce now, and saturation is an issue, but there are still great advantages to being a dentist. I think it just comes down to making sure that this is the career you want before deciding on it, because when I told my parents (who are both dentists) that I want to go into dentistry, they warned me about how difficult a career it can be and to make sure that this is truly what I want.

More power to you. We're not saying people should stop going into the profession. We're saying they need to be 1. realistic and 2. have tempered/managed expectations. I receive a lot of PMs about people wondering if they should go into dentistry and they ask a lot of the "doom & gloom" questions. My personal opinion is that if you're already worried about it before you've even dipped your toe, you're not going to have a fun time, regardless of whether or not it's probable that you'll eventually be happy with your decision. It will be laborious. Don't go into it for the wrong reasons.

Archived