Premed 101 Forums

Would It Ever Be Worth Only Writing The Cars Section Of The Mcat?

I am aware that I would take a hit in the "global assessment of academic merit" portion, but as a mechanical engineering student would it be worth all the extra time it would take to learn a topics I know little about? Lets say I had to spend a extra year studying traditional pre med courses, could I instead either do a masters, or save some money and spend a lot of time working / volunteering and improve my application more than by having a respectable MCAT score?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I truly feel torn. A huge part of me would like to just write the CARS section so I can apply this summer (I am in my third year) so I can get a feel for where I stand as an applicant, maybe even getting a chance to experience the interview process.

Thanks for any advice. 

Damn don't do it... Your overall score would never be high enough to get an interview and I'm pretty sure they will look at all of your mcat scores when you apply in the future.

Instead, maybe apply at schools that don't require the mcat?

not only would it appear like you're taking the easiest way out, but it will be a surefire way to reduce your chances at any other medical school to near zero (including u of c if they ever decide to implement a minimum overall score).

Thanks for the info, I've only looked at UofA and UofC because I figure those were my best shots. I didn't know most med schools looked at more than just your first score.

This is my dilemma too.. I think if you have no choice then you should just do the CARS and apply to Calgary and Mac. That being said you mentioned you have a CGPA of 3.7 which will not make the cut off if you are OOP for Alberta. 

I was trying to search and see if anyone on this forum actually just did CARS and got in, but I haven't found any.. I'm sure people do it though and someone must have gotten in too.

You can also try Northern Ontario but I'm sure they require a high GPA

• 2 weeks later...

I interviewed in the 2015/16 cycle. I was waitlisted after the interview, and ultimately not admitted, so still no anecdotes from a successful applicant.

Anyway, I essentially did what you're talking about. I don't have any university level biology, chemistry, or physics, and I didn't study for those sections of the MCAT. I wrote all sections and used reason and judgement to try to make "educated guesses", instead of simply leaving those sections blank. I did very well in the CARS section, and my total score was a 498 (really subpar, hah). I scored low in global assessment of academic merit, but the rest of my application was strong enough to bump my score into the interview range. 

My plan right now is to apply to UofC again with my below average MCAT for the 2017/18 cycle (I skipped 2016/17), and begin upgrading my degree to gain the knowledge I need for a better MCAT score. I figure I stand a good change at getting in at UofC, and if I don't this time, I will be able to apply to more schools next year. 

Hopefully that helps. :)

Anyway, I essentially did what you're talking about. I don't have any university level biology, chemistry, or physics, and I didn't study for those sections of the MCAT. I wrote all sections and used reason and judgement to try to make "educated guesses", instead of simply leaving those sections blank. I did very well in the CARS section, and my total score was a 498 (really subpar, hah). I scored low in global assessment of academic merit, but the rest of my application was strong enough to bump my score into the interview range. 

Interesting. Out of curiosity, how do you expect to work in a science based discipline with such a limited working knowledge? You're expected to know more than just high school biology and chemistry upon entering medicine, which is why they're tested on the MCAT. This is also why schools used to have those "core" university science courses as prerequisites. 

This seems like a perfect example of the problems regarding removal of prerequisites and/or only assessing the CARS section. In my opinion, if someone hasn't taken university biology/chemistry/biochemistry they shouldn't be eligible to apply if they cannot manage a decent score on those MCAT sections. At some point, applicants should have to show that they're at least competent in the core sciences on which medicine is built. 

I apologize if this comes off as harsh- it isn't a critique of you personally. It is just a gripe with the current trends in admissions practices.

This seems like a perfect example of the problems regarding removal of prerequisites and/or only assessing the CARS section. In my opinion, if someone hasn't taken university biology/chemistry/biochemistry they shouldn't be eligible to apply if they cannot manage a decent score on those MCAT sections. At some point, applicants should have to show that they're at least competent in the core sciences on which medicine is built. 

I would agree. I can appreciate schools dropping course prerequisites to accommodate applicants from various disciplines, however I don't agree with ignoring sections other than CARS on the MCAT (Calgary and McMaster). I understand that you learn everything you need to know to function as a physician in medical school, but I do think applicants need to show some baseline competency in the basic sciences (even if the cutoff is set to something low such as 125).

I am aware that I would take a hit in the "global assessment of academic merit" portion, but as a mechanical engineering student would it be worth all the extra time it would take to learn a topics I know little about? Lets say I had to spend a extra year studying traditional pre med courses, could I instead either do a masters, or save some money and spend a lot of time working / volunteering and improve my application more than by having a respectable MCAT score?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I truly feel torn. A huge part of me would like to just write the CARS section so I can apply this summer (I am in my third year) so I can get a feel for where I stand as an applicant, maybe even getting a chance to experience the interview process.

Thanks for any advice. 

Its totally up to you, but as others mentioned, once you do this, you will essentially never be able to apply to schools that use use the whole mcat (at least not w/o a great re-write). That being said, I ended up only interviewing at schools that either use CARS only or don't look at the mcat, so it would have made no difference to me, but obviously, I could not have predicted that things would turn out that way. 

Interesting. Out of curiosity, how do you expect to work in a science based discipline with such a limited working knowledge? You're expected to know more than just high school biology and chemistry upon entering medicine, which is why they're tested on the MCAT. This is also why schools used to have those "core" university science courses as prerequisites. 

I apologize if this comes off as harsh- it isn't a critique of you personally. It is just a gripe with the current trends in admissions practices.

I strongly disagree with this statement. I know many medical students and now doctors that had no science base before entering medicine. I don't even agree that the MCAT is a good predictor of success in medicine. There are many examples of medical students and doctors who did an undergraduate degree in an area unrelated to science who are exceptional. If the CaRMS framework looks for abilities like leadership, advocacy, interprofessional collaboration, etc., you can find fantastic candidates with these attributes who lack a science background. The only reason to do well on all parts of the MCAT is because this is a part of the application process that medical schools give weight. If you notice, there are schools that are moving away (or at least questioning) the use of the MCAT in the application process.

Anecdotally, I have used an extremely small fraction of the science material on the MCAT in medical school. This goes for my undergraduate degree as well which was in a science discipline. I would guess that most medical students would agree with me here.

I also strongly disagree with this statement, as I would argue that UCalgary has largely substantiated this. In the admissions podcast this year, Dr. Walker presented correlative analyses of each MCAT section with medical school grades, and VB/CARS was the only one that was fairly predictive of upper-year marks & clinical grading -- interestingly, the science sections weren't.

I have an honours bachelor of science - so not a limited knowledge of science, just limited knowledge of chemistry and physics. I've published award-winning research, and I have graduate level training in the sciences. I am able to demonstrate a strong capacity for learning, and I think UofC's admission practices are looking for that capacity, not necessarily knowledge.

Why doesn't the MCAT test anatomy and physiology which are kind of like applied biology? I haven't taken the MCAT or Chem/bio/physics but I have heard med students say they wish they had taken A&P which many science students ironically lack.. 

Just to continue on with the topic and present my dilemma...............doesn't UofC look at your best MCAT score? So technically you can still focus on CARS one year and like the gentleman above said "take educated guesses on the other sections" and at least put an application in and see how you compare to the other applicants. And If you want to improve it can be done with another MCAT which would replace your previous score. Is that not how it works? Am I missing something? Any potential issues with this approach?.............any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

Just to continue on with the topic and present my dilemma...............doesn't UofC look at your best MCAT score? So technically you can still focus on CARS one year and like the gentleman above said "take educated guesses on the other sections" and at least put an application in and see how you compare to the other applicants. And If you want to improve it can be done with another MCAT which would replace your previous score. Is that not how it works? Am I missing something? Any potential issues with this approach?.............any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

U of C takes your best CARS score for your application but reviewers see all of your MCAT attempts and can use all of your MCAT attempts when giving you score on your global assessment of academic ability. :-) 

U of C takes your best CARS score for your application but reviewers see all of your MCAT attempts and can use all of your MCAT attempts when giving you score on your global assessment of academic ability. :-) 

Thanks for the response...........unfortunately, due to my full-time work load plus a Masters course, I did not get enough time to study for the MCAT so I am going to sit on the one in March anyway to get a feel of it. Let's hope I kind of do okay in that and it does not bring me down that much overall. Considering I am a non-trad applicant (mechanical/petroleum engineer), the reviewers may give me a free pass on the first MCAT score ever (very hopeful). I do plan to do it a second time perhaps to improve my scors (which I believe will be required).

Archived