Premed 101 Forums

Sticky housing situation...

Guest NewKid

Guest NewKid

I was just wondering where everybody will be staying when school starts...Well, I'm for one still looking for a place to call home for the next four years. It sucks that the med centre is located in such a bad neighbourhood and U of M Med doesn't seem to care to provide any decent/sufficient med student housing...sign

Guest brandonite

Well, there are the med apartments. They are decent. Very tiny, but cheap. And you have to live in the crappy neighborhood. Hardly great, but not disasterous either.

I don't really want to live down there, so I have been looking elsewhere. Finding a place to live has been the bane of my existence for the past month or two. I think I might finally have a couple of leads.

Has anyone given a thought to buying a condo? For four years, is it a worthwhile thing to look at? Credit isn't really a problem, but I'm not entirely convinced it is worth it for such a short time...

Guest NewKid

...yeah, but there is a long wait list the last time I checked with them I didn't even bother to put my name down! Do you think it would be okay if I decided to take any of the surrounding apartments? I really don't want to get mugged or anything...as for buying a condo, I think it would probably be worth it if you are planning on being here for at least 5 or 6 years I guess. They are not too expensive are they? How many years is your MD/PhD program Brondonite? Where are you staying now...if you don't mind me asking.

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi NewKid,

From what I understand, the neighbourhood around HSC has been improving recently. As long as you live within a reasonable distance of the hospital, it might not be a problem.

Another possibility would be living near the main university campus. I'm pretty sure there's a shuttle that runs between it and Bannatyne. I hope you can remedy your problem soon. :)

Archived