Premed 101 Forums

Having Some Second Thoughts About Medicine Due To "better" Options Elsewhere?

ftronic

It's all about what you value. And only you can decide. I wrestled with similar thoughts, and now at thirty one I am pursuing medicine. Be reflective, and honest with yourself about what you value. There is no one best path, and everything has uncertainty. It would be terrible to end up at fifty and unhappy with where you are. Life is a process, so be open to it. Only you can decide what matters. Good luck in choosing.

It's all about what you value. And only you can decide. I wrestled with similar thoughts, and now at thirty one I am pursuing medicine. Be reflective, and honest with yourself about what you value. There is no one best path, and everything has uncertainty. It would be terrible to end up at fifty and unhappy with where you are. Life is a process, so be open to it. Only you can decide what matters. Good luck in choosing.

Definitely agree... it's just hard to base it off of what you value when you don't actually know what it will be like until you're knee-deep in it. I've done my best to find that out, talking to people, observerships, etc., but ultimately nothing compares to actually doing it for a few years. And with something that takes as long to prepare for as medicine, that can be a tough pill to swallow if it isn't what you hoped. But, that's life I suppose.

Absolutely, my thoughts have been, if I don't do this, will I regret it? JHaving been making good money for the last five years, I realized I dont care about what money can offer. Mind you it helps that I am a nurse, and have watched residents go through training. I have some insider perspective on what the process is like, and what sacrifices need to be made to do it. I know for myself, that this is something I have to do. I'm willing to engage in the process, to take the time, to make the sacrifices. The things that money will provide won't temper the perceived loss of not going to med school, and not becoming a physician (for me).

• 6 months later...

I used to work in Investment Banking and I can certainly tell you that money isn't everything and money will not make you happy.

If you're pursuing medicine for the money, don't do it. There are plenty of other careers that will allow you to make much, much more money.

I believe medicine is a demanding and selfless career choice, at least that's the way it should be. 

I wouldn't want to be the patient of a doctor who is treating me because he wants my money. The doctor should be my doctor because he/she wants to help and heal people.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being the client of a banker who's a banker because he wants my money. That's the whole point of being a banker.

All in all, do what you love to do. Your passion is your wealth. If you truly love something enough, you'll find a way for it to make enough money for you.

I agree. I used to work as a barrister, and it is not uncommon to crack $150K before variable pay. Total rewards can be upwards of $250K and that's without overheads. Plus a decent pension plan with the company. If you chase the money, medicine isn't the choice.

I moved away from law because I started to re-evaluate my position. I did not enjoy what I was doing and my undergrad was in biology and I had always been inclined in the sciences. So, I took a shot and here I am. In some ways, I find the North American medical school admission process very logical. People need time to mature. We can all want to be doctors in high school, but does one have the maturity and general life skills? I question that sometimes. People who have done an undergrad or have worked another career have a different lens at looking at things and it tells a story of why medicine.

I don't buy the whole idea of "chase your passion." Passion takes time - and it's curated and cultivated. You learn what you like and dislike. That's my path into medicine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, Butterfly_ said:

I used to work in Investment Banking and I can certainly tell you that money isn't everything and money will not make you happy.

If you're pursuing medicine for the money, don't do it. There are plenty of other careers that will allow you to make much, much more money.

I believe medicine is a demanding and selfless career choice, at least that's the way it should be. 

I wouldn't want to be the patient of a doctor who is treating me because he wants my money. The doctor should be my doctor because he/she wants to help and heal people.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being the client of a banker who's a banker because he wants my money. That's the whole point of being a banker.

All in all, do what you love to do. Your passion is your wealth. If you truly love something enough, you'll find a way for it to make enough money for you.

Too true - your passion is your wealth, easy to forget that.

Archived