Premed 101 Forums

yashi

Hey guys,

I've got about two weeks to decide where I'll be going for undergrad. My plan is to pursue general science (mayble a major in physics) for premed and then apply to med school. I've received a large scholarship to Queen's, so my options are down to Queen's and UofM.

The cost to attend either of them is irrelevant. I'm most concerned about keeping up a high GPA and having opportunities to make myself competitive for medicine. I'm worried that, if I go to a highly selective school like Queen's, I will be overshadowed by the sheer number of high caliber students (based on entering averages).

Also, does anyone know if they grade on a bell curve? From my limited research, it seems that a bell curve is quite harmful to GPAs if you're trying to be in the top 10% of the class.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Yashi

Hey guys,

I've got about two weeks to decide where I'll be going for undergrad. My plan is to pursue general science (mayble a major in physics) for premed and then apply to med school. I've received a large scholarship to Queen's, so my options are down to Queen's and UofM.

The cost to attend either of them is irrelevant. I'm most concerned about keeping up a high GPA and having opportunities to make myself competitive for medicine. I'm worried that, if I go to a highly selective school like Queen's, I will be overshadowed by the sheer number of high caliber students (based on entering averages).

Also, does anyone know if they grade on a bell curve? From my limited research, it seems that a bell curve is quite harmful to GPAs if you're trying to be in the top 10% of the class.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Yashi

If you are receiving a large scholarship to Queens you probably aren't gonna be the avg student at Queens so don't worry too much about not being good enough. 

If you are from Manitoba, just consider things like family etc and school environment. Queens is a campus uni, students don't live at home which means more school spirit and activities whereas Manitoba may be more of a commuter school. Also look into how UofM determines in province status, make sure you try to maintain that. 

Archived