Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

Hello friends, 

I'm a Canadian citizen in third year at a Canadian university. 
I have a list of 15ish Canadian-friendly schools ... but let's be real, am I wasting time and money applying this cycle? How should I make my application stronger?

Help me out guys!

So you just finished 3rd year, entering 4th year?

First make sure you can finance a US medical education before you bother appliyng.

Secondly, i would wait until next year when you have 4th year under your belt before applying to US schools - gives you more time to build a strong app.

If money isn't an issue, then by all means go ahead and apply.

It takes time to line up reference letters, write applications etc

So you just finished 3rd year, entering 4th year?

First make sure you can finance a US medical education before you bother appliyng.

Secondly, i would wait until next year when you have 4th year under your belt before applying to US schools - gives you more time to build a strong app.

If money isn't an issue, then by all means go ahead and apply.

It takes time to line up reference letters, write applications etc

Yep, entering 4th year this fall. Finances shouldn't be a problem even with escrow, and I've contacted my references/started my application. I'm primarily wondering if I can expect to hear back from US MD schools at all, and if it's worth it to be spending eons of time on this application ... seems like everyone who applies has a 3.9+ GPA and stellar MCAT and I'm certainly not the ideal applicant (especially given my sGPA). 

How damaging is it to be a reapplicant?

Fairly. Unlike Canada, they don't expect you to reapply. With that said, I've met reapplicants who interviewed twice at the same school. Schools will now you're a reapplicant to their school (I don't know how but they do) and can compare your previous and current applications.

Fairly. Unlike Canada, they don't expect you to reapply. With that said, I've met reapplicants who interviewed twice at the same school. Schools will now you're a reapplicant to their school (I don't know how but they do) and can compare your previous and current applications.

Tbh no one really knows. Just.makes sense to just apply when you are fully ready and at your best

Archived