Premed 101 Forums

Rejects for GPA?

Guest hopeful

Guest hopeful

Hi there fellow applicants. Just wondering if anyone happens to know approximately how many applicants are rejected due to insufficient GPAs. I understand that there are roughly 3100 MAC applicants a year and somebody suggested that letters of rejection go out in early February to those who don't meet minimum academic rqts (eg. < 3.0 GPA and/or not having 10 full credits). Just trying to get a better idea of my chances by knowing how many "actually qualified" applicants there are left in the pot that go into the application review process. Nerves are already starting to set in and there's at least another 4 months to go before any chance of hearing something. Yikes!!

I wouldn't count on too many applicants being eliminated this way... The 3.0 cutoff is clearly stated and widely known. The applicant would have to be either unaware of the 3.0 policy, unaware of his/her GPA or some other similar oversight to be included in the initial round of rejections. A pretty silly way to spend $75 (and potentially $225 if you only apply to Mac) if you ask me, but it happens, though not to too many.

Guest hopeful

Siz, I agree that it is a silly way to waste money, and I know that Mac is very explicit in stating they do not consider any applicant with less than a 3.0 GPA. However, from different messages on this web board (and elsewhere) I have seen numerous questions from students inquiring about their chances of getting in with 2.8 or if their 2.9 would be rounded up. Based on the number of quetions, I can only guess that there are a number of students who don't ask and just hope that they have a chance. In reality, there shouldn't be any rejects of applicants based on insufficient GPA - those students should not have applied, however it appears that there might be a fair number who just haven't fully understood the absolute minimum for prerequisites. There appears to be stats for so many other things, I was just wondering if someone had stats for this.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

There is another scenario that may skew the Mac data and contribute to a large number of applicants who effectively end up with a GPA of less than 3.0: graduate applicants.

Mac has a special policy for graduate applicants whose undergrad. average does not meet the 3.0 cut-off; that is, they assign one year to that application to represent the completed graduate work, with a GPA that matches the median GPA of that year's application pool. Therefore, there could be a number of graduate applicants who apply (and whose undergrad. GPA is sub-3.00) who are hoping that the GPA assigned to them for that one year representing their graduate work, will bring them above the hallowed 3.00.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest hopeful

Sorry for the confusion - MAC does not require 10 full courses to apply but they do require three full years (15 full courses) by next June. It has always been in my mind that I had to have completed two full years (10 courses) before I applied. In reality, you could apply with less than 10 courses (I'm assuming here) and then take more than a full course load this/next term.

• 3 months later...

the admissions office told me that although I could apply in my third year I had to have completed 5 full (eg Sept to April) second year or above courses before the application date.

at this page of the faculty of medicine website:

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdpro...ssions.htm

it says that two of the three years must be above year one.

reading it should clarify

hope this helps

"it says that two of the three years must be above year one. reading it should clarify"

Or not... Mac ended up rejecting a fair number of third year applicants because of this rule (people who took 100 level breadth or program requirements in second year). But fortunately, when they first devised the rule it was not their intention to reject applicants for that particular reason, so supposedly they'll be reviewing these people again...

Archived