Premed 101 Forums

Should I do the MCAT now or wait?

ThisIsMe

Hi guys!

I'm a nursing student going into 3rd year, but after some thinking recently I realized that I want to apply to med school, specifically to McMaster. Since I'm only going to apply there, I thought I could just do the CARS section on the MCAT this summer and get it over with so I can focus on extracurricular activities from September until my graduation, as I can only apply after I've completed my collaborative BScN.

My question is, would it be ok to do the just the CARS section and skip all the other ones?

And if so, should I do it this summer or would it be better to wait until next summer in case anything changes with the application requirements?

Thank you everyone!!

You will find examples in the forum of people who have only done CARS aiming at MAC.  Note it is very difficult and competitive at Ontario Medical Schools.  If you are going to give Med applications a go, why not maximize your chances at an interview by writing the full MCAT and apply to all schools that your GPA/MCAT will allow.  You might want to try some practice MCAT tests and see how you benchmark on CARS to decide if you are ready to try this summer.   MCAT spots may also be pretty full by now for this summer. 

One thing to check is if the collaborative Nursing program provides enough countable GPA credits to apply during your fourth year. Pass/Fail grades do not contribute to cGPA.  

Archived