Premed 101 Forums

Masters in Education during Residency

I know one guy who did one. It was in his fellowship. He said it was a pretty easy degree. 

My wife (a teacher) actually has a real Masters of Education from a pretty hard to get into masters program. She looked at the medical education masters program one day for curiosity. Her take on it was it was very light on actual learning about education. 

It seems like it's popular for people who don't really care about getting a masters but are required to do a masters because of institution credentialism (Yay pointlessness!!!!).

• 1 month later...

I have a non-clinical masters of ed. It was a lot of work when paired with residency. I did mine during residency. Even if you have protected time to do this type of degree life becomes very very busy. The non-clinical MEd programs make you write a lot.  Thousands of words a week in writing for various assignments. Then you must factor in time spent in class and for research.

I'm glad I did it. A non-clinical MEd gives you a different outlook on education compared to the clinically trained people. You have a very solid theoretical background. Good for research and curriculum  development.   It is also kinda unique which helps the CV for jobs. 

The downside is that the onus is on you to make connections from what you are learning to the clinical environment. But doing such training while working in the clinical environment certainly provides such opportunities. 

3 hours ago, rogerroger said:

I have a non-clinical masters of ed. It was a lot of work when paired with residency. I did mine during residency. Even if you have protected time to do this type of degree life becomes very very busy. The non-clinical MEd programs make you write a lot.  Thousands of words a week in writing for various assignments. Then you must factor in time spent in class and for research.

I'm glad I did it. A non-clinical MEd gives you a different outlook on education compared to the clinically trained people. You have a very solid theoretical background. Good for research and curriculum  development.   It is also kinda unique which helps the CV for jobs. 

The downside is that the onus is on you to make connections from what you are learning to the clinical environment. But doing such training while working in the clinical environment certainly provides such opportunities. 

Hey rogerroger - was this done online? How did your program react when you told them that you wanted to do it? 

I agree with NLenger - creeping credentialism but learning about education and coaching is something I am interested in. 

On 9/9/2017 at 10:02 AM, distressedpremed said:

Hey rogerroger - was this done online? How did your program react when you told them that you wanted to do it? 

Part online and part in person.

My program supported me. I had a clear plan about why it was important to my career. My PD was also great and that helped.

Archived