Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone! My question is a little bit tricky but please bear with me!

I have completed my undergraduate degree this past May 2017. I am choosing to take additional undergraduate level courses in order to improve both my cumulative GPA and weighted GPA for Queen's University. However, I understand that for Queen's wGPA requirement, they look at your 2 most recent years of study in which you completed a full-time course load, which is defined by them to be a minimum of 3 courses each semester between the months of September - April (the academic year). My final year of undergraduate study will not be considered a full-time course load as I had to complete clinical placements, therefore, I strategized to take these additional courses (6 altogether) between the months of September 207 - April 2018 in order to satisfy Queen's "full-time course load" requirement. I emailed Queen's directly and they confirmed that this would be fine.

However..

I was unable to enrol in the courses that I initially intended on starting in the beginning of September right on time due to various reasons. I ended up enrolling for 3 courses which I am now set to begin in December, rather than September (which I initially hoped to do). I have also enrolled in an additional 3 courses on top of that, which I am set to start in the beginning of January. Due to the flexibility of these courses that I enrolled in, I would still finish all 6 by the end of the academic year (April 2018). Therefore, technically, I would still have completed the minimum number of courses to be considered full-time in Queen's eyes within the academic year. 

My question is: Is this assumption correct? Despite the late start, because I would still be completing the minimum number of courses within the Academic year, to be considered for their weighted GPA. Please let me know if this assumption is a correct one to make! 

Thanks everyone! Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Related question. I received a regret from Western this cycle because one of my two best years (GPA 3.87) had only 29 credits.

I am graduating this year, and am contemplating taking a fifth "special year" with 30 undergraduate credits, so that I will have two best years that qualify me for an interview in the September 2018 cycle.

Does anybody know whether the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year"? In other words, do I need to take at least 3 courses at or above level 5? Or can I take all level 3 or 4 courses and still qualify for the GPA calculation? Thanks

7 hours ago, medabe said:

Related question. I received a regret from Western this cycle because one of my two best years (GPA 3.87) had only 29 credits.

I am graduating this year, and am contemplating taking a fifth "special year" with 30 undergraduate credits, so that I will have two best years that qualify me for an interview in the September 2018 cycle.

Does anybody know whether the 3/5 rule applies to the "special year"? In other words, do I need to take at least 3 courses at or above level 5? Or can I take all level 3 or 4 courses and still qualify for the GPA calculation? Thanks

Courses at the year 3 and 4 level are fine for 3/5 rule for your special year. (i.e. your remaining 2 courses can have year 1 or 2 level courses in them). To be sure though, I would email or call admissions and ask. 

6 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Courses at the year 3 and 4 level are fine for 3/5 rule for your special year. (i.e. your remaining 2 courses can have year 1 or 2 level courses in them). To be sure though, I would email or call admissions and ask. 

doesn't that go against their stated rules (cannot have 1st year courses......)

16 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

That's not currently a requirement if you read the FAQs on the website (unless it's in another section elsewhere). 

I just grabbed that text from the site today :)

That's the problem - I always worry about how accurate the site is. Particularly for mission critical stuff. 

56 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

That's not currently a requirement if you read the FAQs on the website (unless it's in another section elsewhere). 

That is not correct. Their website says you can not take first year courses in your "special year":

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 10.06.21 AM.png

2 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Glad you found this. They should put it under the other FAQ section with the other course level requirements because it's very easy to miss. 

and people do all the time actually!

that is why I try to point it out when possible - that site I think does need a reorganization. If you have a FAQ with a ton of questions it is a hint that data should be structured within the main site. It is a good effort I think, but there are areas possible for improvement. 

4 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Glad you found this. They should put it under the other FAQ section with the other course level requirements because it's very easy to miss. 

I found this under FAQ, but I am still not clear as to what level courses will suffice for the "special year":

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 9.06.28 PM.png

Just now, medabe said:

I found this under FAQ, but I am still not clear as to what level courses will suffice for the "special year":

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 9.06.28 PM.png

Its also 3rd and 4th that are fine for the 3/5 rule in your 5th year as long as you have not graduated (stated under another part of the FAQ called "what are the course level requirements in my undergraduate years")

1 minute ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Its also 3rd and 4th that are fine for the 3/5 rule in your 5th year as long as you have not graduated (stated under another part of the FAQ called "what are the course level requirements in my undergraduate years")

which is one of the possible advantages of a 5th year over a special year. 

What used to be and may still be is that the FAQ rules above about no first year courses, and only 2nd year without prereqs are allow without any other restrictions. The logic used to be that you are graduated so you may simple no longer have access to the 3rd/4th year courses of your original program (which is true at many schools - you either are formally excluded or have get access to register so late that they aren't left or at least the ones you want aren't left). This gave a bit more freedom without making it too easy (all 1st year simply stuff etc). 

13 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

You are correct that the website says you can do third and fourth year courses in your 5th year IF YOU HAVE NOT GRADUATED. The problem is that if you HAVE graduated, there is no direct indication on the website as to what level courses you need to take in your "special year". Hence my original question. This will definitely need a confirming email to Western Admissions before registering for the special year courses. Definitely do not want to find out next year that fifth year courses (for example) were required!!

Archived