Premed 101 Forums

Applying to McMaster Going Into 3rd year

So, it is to my knowledge that McMaster only looks at the 'CARS' section of the MCAT (found on their application requirements). That being said, I also have read that studying only for this section when applying to Mac is a strategy. This is the main question that I have

1. Does McMaster not look at any other section score ? Even the slightest? For example, if you got 130+ on CARS, but 118 on all other sections, would they look at another applicant the same way if they got 130+ on CARS aswell as some scores on the other sections? 

I plan on only applying to McMaster for this year, and giving it my best shot.

I am an Ontario resident, and my current GPA (2nd year + 1 sem completed) is 3.97.

It's true, people have been accepted to mac after only taking the CARS portion of the mcat. However, keep in mind that this won't get you anywhere else in Canada, and if you want to keep the option to apply to the US in your back pocket, they look at all MCATs and in some case average scores so be careful.

Nice GPA !

MAC only looks at CARS.  It is used in an equal weighted score (GPA/CARS/CASPER) for Interview selection.   You could focus on CARS to strengthen your chance at a interview.  Remember the Interview is only the first door. You have to do well and get an offer.   

In reality, you should write the MCAT once and plan to do well in all sections such that you can then apply to Western,Toronto, Queens, Ottawa as well as outside the province.  You want as many interviews as you can get to increase your chances for an offer.   

Archived