Premed 101 Forums

-

BernieMac

How many attempts would you try before giving up forever?   

101 members have voted

1. 1. How many attempts would you try before giving up forever?

• 1 time only
    • 2 times
    • 3 times
    • 4 times
    • 5 times
    • 6 times
    • 7 times

I guess it depends. Obviously, if I don't get in, I'll be pursuing other career paths and taking them as seriously as I can. And then, every year, if I still feel like becoming a physician is what I want more, I'll apply again. And if I fail again, I'll just keep advancing myself in the path I find myself in at that moment. I don't understand why you would "call it quits" unless it's because you discovered another passion in the other paths you pursued while applying for medicine. It's not like you have to put your life on hold while waiting to get into medicine. Plus, you already have everything you need to send in the application every year anyway, so there's no reason to stop unless you just don't really want to go into medicine anymore.

Difference between a serious application and a lottery ticket 

• I think there is a difference between a 'real' attempt and a 'blind attempt'.
  • In my case, I knew that my grades from my first undergraduate degree were not competitive. Yet, I applied once after my first undergraduate degree, once during my master's and once after my master's. Now this counts as three attempts, but to be fair, they were almost like buying a lottery ticket.
  • Right now, on the other end, I have almost completed a second degree with 3.8ish GPA. From now on, I believe every attempt is serious. In that case, if it doesn't work out, I am planning on going on with my life, pursuing other passions. But I will still apply every year. 5-10-15 times, I don't know. 

You have to keep moving forward

• I think the key is to realize that your life has to move forward.
  • It personally took me some time to realize that.
  • Having a serious relationship, thinking about kids, buying a house, travelling the world, pursuing sports competitions?
  • I was too busy for that. That would be something I would focus on after being accepted to medical school.
  • The problem is, putting your 'real' life goals on hold for your career can make you bitter and unhappy.
  • And truth is, the moment you are waiting for might never come. And even if it comes, medical school doesn't solve anything.

What I learned

• You should not put any aspect of your life on hold, hoping that being accepted to a medical school will solve everything.
  • Don't put passions, dreams, relationships on hold, because you are too busy for your application cycle.
  • You will never have more time than right now.
  • It doesn't get easier during medical school, during residency, during practice.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my fourth and final attempt. This is the first time in my 8-years of aspiration where I've become completely uninterested in pursuing this profession for various reasons. At this point, I merely see it as a career option, not a primary goal. I know I may sound salty, but it's a decision that was bound to come sooner or later :lol:

14 hours ago, CLIC5A said:

This is my fourth and final attempt. This is the first time in my 8-years of aspiration where I've become completely uninterested in pursuing this profession for various reasons. At this point, I merely see it as a career option, not a primary goal. I know I may sound salty, but it's a decision that was bound to come sooner or later :lol:

What reasons have lead you to be uninterested in pursuing it now?

As HoopDreams discussed, I've also had both blind and real attempts at applying for medical school. The first two times I applied in undergrad, I honestly had no heart for medicine. Becoming a doctor was my mother's vicarious dream, and because she wanted it, I grew to hate it (long story short: I had a helicopter tiger mom). Of course, those attempts failed.

I had the undergrad final year OMG-I-have-a-life-sci-degree-and-don't-know-what-to-do-with-it freak out before I decided to take over my life, move out, and pursue a master's because I wanted to gain more research and life experience so that I could potentially work in industry R&D. Funnily enough, the experiences I gained while pursuing a new goal and just doing what I enjoyed ended up leading me towards medicine.

So you really never know in life whether it's really the last time or not.

I always find it a little amusing when early 20-somethings talk as if their life is over because they didn't achieve their goal yet and they're already so old at 21. We all walk at different paces and turn at different roads. As the Knights Radiant say "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." Gonna keep on keeping on doing the best I can and deal with whatever life brings me! Current plan is to find a more stable job somewhere once March results come out (if it's a rejection) and try again, but maybe my next experience will make me think otherwise. Who knows? Excited to find out either way!

16 hours ago, gellycell said:

As the Knights Radiant say "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." 

Did you enjoy Oathbringer? I ended up reading it over the break and felt like it was a much slower pace than the other books in the series. 

8 hours ago, Blasé said:

Did you enjoy Oathbringer? I ended up reading it over the break and felt like it was a much slower pace than the other books in the series. 

I love the Stormlight Archive series far too much to have not enjoyed it, but there were certainly many pieces and players being set up (plus aaaallll the flashbacks) that slowed the pace of the main story a little. The love triangle thing was also handled a little oddly, but I'm honestly glad it ended the way it did because I didn't feel much chemistry between anyone, and I just wanted it over and out of the way. I mostly missed Kaladin chapters (my favorite main of the bunch just because of how hardworking he is, and I do empathize with his depressive episodes having gone through unreasonable bad thoughts myself in the past). I'm still excited to read the rest (how many more years will this be lol, I hope it's not gonna be like Winds of Winter), but Oathbringer was my least favorite of the three so far.

I set a limit of two attempts for myself. I had a great backup plan (medical physics) about which I was equally excited, so that helped cement my decision to set a limit. 

Ultimately my first try was successful, fortunately. 

Archived