Premed 101 Forums

Laptop

Guest Yangzie

Guest Yangzie

hi all,

I saw that the laptop costs 2600 dollars from my infoweb account. Does anyone know if the laptop will be the same as last years or different? (The ThinkPad Tablet X41)

thanks

Guest miss83

Hi,

Sorry to deviate, this isn't actually an answer to the above question. Anyway, I got approved for OSAP, and I heard that when you are approved, you don't have to pay for the laptop. Could anybody tell me how you go about not paying??

Thanks so much,

M.

Guest krismd

hey miss..

qualifying for OSAP does not mean that you don't have to pay for your laptop. i think what you are refering to is the millenium bursary for $3000 that you get if you qualify for OSAP. so essentially, the $3000 will cover the cost of the laptop, when you get it in January, but you will still have to pay for it in September.

kris

Yes and no..

You still have to pay for it as part of full tuition in September (or the part of tuition that's due by september). But then, everyone elibible for OSAP gets an additional $3500 bursary from uOttawa (not related to the millenium) and that covers the laptop price.

From what I hear, you guys are getting souped up X41 tablets (faster and more RAM than our babies)

Guest jos264

I applied for osap and though I havent gotten an official response yet, it said when I submitted that according to my program of study (Ottawa MD) the preliminary estimate was that I qualify for 0$...is this normal (did that happen to everyone) or am I probably not qualifying?

Guest krismd

jos264...i'm not sure what that means, but my initial estimate was indicated to me right away. i think for most people who don't have a vehicle in their name, haven't had a real full time job and don't have the income of parents or a spouse, the initial estimate is around $13,500. if you have all of these, then you may be out of luck. otherwise i'd check on your status in a couple days?

Guest miss83

hi,

kris is probably right, because i got approved for about $11 000 (i co-lease a car). but just in case, i would give them a call if i were you.

good luck!

m.

Guest jos264

yeah its weird cause Ive never worked full time, have been in school full time since i graduated high school, dont have a car and dont currently live with my parents...I did have to say that Im going to live with my parents in the fall so maybe that is what screwed me over? I guess I'll find out in a few days...

Guest satsumargirl

jos264

If it turns out you don't get what you think you should from OSAP contact the financial aid office. They will probably be able to help you appeal. Even if you are living with your parents, with $15000 tuition you should get something, if you have not been working, have no assets/savings, and have been out of high school long enough that they don't expect your parents to contribute financially to you education.

Good luck

Guest doctags

satsumargirl--- How long do you have to be out of highschool for OSAP not to consider your parents paying tuition especially since med school tuition is steep (not complaining:eek :eek )

Thanks for the info

Guest miss83

hi,

you have to be out of h.s. for at least 4 years in order to apply as an independent (i.e. your parents are not contributing).

Guest jos264

ahh see that must be my problem...I just finished 3rd yr of undergrad so Ive been out of high school for only 3 yrs...looks im gonna get no love from osap this yr

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I would recommend the fujitsu T4210, instead of the leveno laptop if given the chance. You would have to contact medtech right away and purchase fujitsu with your own money. You would loose out on the leveno/IBM no hassle warranty three year warranty, so it is not for those who don't know what a BIOS is because, Medtech seriously triages their interest in trying to help you out besides with software issues. BUT you would most importantly include an optical drive(CD/DVD Burner) within the tablet, not externally as with the IBM. There is also a highspeed dual processor.

Medtech has had other rebels in the past classes. Last year a student had just purchased a fujitsu for their research. The year before someone bought an apple. The year before that (my year) one person purchased an R series laptop instead of the T series that we all purchased (at a savings of 900). I am honestly a huge fan of Medtech, but your money is your money.

Congrats on going paperless this year!!

Welcome to ottawa,

g22g

Archived