Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance while on waitlist

plastics91

Hi guys

I've recently been accepted into a school in US. I'm waiting to interview at few places in Canada. My ultimate preference would be to go to a Canadian medical school.

I had questions about acceptance and wait list guidelines. From what I understand you can hold an acceptance at a US school but continue your application as is in Canada - am I correct?

Also, within Canada, the only circumstance I would have to "give up" a seat on a wait list is if I get an offer from a Ontario school but wait-listed on another Ontario school, but I can hold multiple acceptance if they are outside the province, am I correct? Not that I'd want to, but let's say if I got an offer in Saskatchewan but was waitlisted at a school in Ontario, would I be able to remain on waitlist while accepting the offer in Saskatchewan?

Thanks everyone!

The only caveat being that most schools have a deadline to accept, so you may need to accept and pay a registration deposit to the schools you are accepted to in order to hold that spot indefinitely. Otherwise your offer may expire while you are waiting for waitlist movement. Paying that deposit still won't cancel other waitlist movement though.

I don't believe so. This only happens in Ontario because it is a centralized application process so they are aware you have accepted another offer. Perhaps others could confirm but I'm relatively positive this is the case. I know this happens frequently with Dalhousie since their acceptances come much before Ontario schools.

1 hour ago, robclem21 said:

I don't believe so. This only happens in Ontario because it is a centralized application process so they are aware you have accepted another offer. Perhaps others could confirm but I'm relatively positive this is the case. I know this happens frequently with Dalhousie since their acceptances come much before Ontario schools.

In Ontario, how long can you wait to see what happens on the waitlist before you accept an offer?

25 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

In Ontario, how long can you wait to see what happens on the waitlist before you accept an offer?

You have two weeks to respond to an offer if you get an acceptance right away. If you're first waitlisted and eventually accepted (while waitlisted at another school as well), you have 1 week to respond. 

Archived