Premed 101 Forums

Disclosing medical condition

Sea

What are your thoughts on disclosing a medical condition/disability (sorry I do not want to say here what it is, but it is not a mental health condition) that may be seen as detrimental in a career in medicine during an interview if you can make a strong and convincing argument that because of it has made you extremely resilient and relatable to patients?

Having reached the interview stage, you are already a competitive candidate. On the one hand, your experiences as a patient within the health care system can shine in terms of empathy, communication skills, resilience and insight without mentions these specific experiences; on the other hand, mentioning your experiences as a long term patient has the potential to be a double edged sword and could potentially be seen as something positive or negative by the interviewer - depending upon prejudices or biases that might exist consciously or not. It is a potential risk that could cut either way as the above poster says. I would only consider raising it if you already demonstrated qualities they are looking for and this would be to validate further such qualities. 

There have been multiple threads on this in the past. I agree with the above posters. The answer is there is no clear answer. It’s a total crapshoot. It can strengthen or weaken your application partly depending on how you sell it but also depending on the random factor of the biases of the interviewer. 

Basically it’s up to your risk tolerance and how important it is for you to tell your complete story. I decided I wasn’t going to die on that hill. 

You know, we never know what admissions will think and discrimination against people with disabilities is common...

But, I do know that I’ve contacted three schools due to a disability that I’m unable to hide through the interview process. They’ve all been amazingly accommodating throughout the process. I disclosed my disability in my applications also, and still got interviews. 

Warnings around the risks of disclosing disabilities are valid. But as a candidate with a disability, I’m feeling considered and welcomed in the application process, and not at all like its being used against me thus far. So, I think you should do what you’re most comfortable with.

Feel free to message me for more details :) always happy to chat about my application. 

Archived