Premed 101 Forums

Hi there :) I did the MMI for OT last year and got accepted. I didn't purchase any books to prep and just did random online questions I found and I did fine. I would say that not focus just on healthcare themed questions because the interview itself had non healthcare themes as well. The examiners are really nice and have prompting questions if you get stuck (I was so happy when I learned that haha). Also, in some questions I was cut off by the door knock and other times I finished before the time  so don't stress out if you find yourself in that kind of situation, just look on to the next question

Good Luck!

I also did the MMI for OT at McMaster last year and was accepted to the program. 

To prepare for the interview itself, I also just looked up sample MMI questions and practiced going through them. I tried to simulate the experience as best as I could by giving myself a couple minutes to think through the question and then talking through my answer out loud. I found that to be pretty helpful in learning how to pace the answers to my questions. I also did research on CAOT's website for general information about occupational therapy, which I found to be really helpful in getting me to think about the questions in the way an OT might. 

I also found that the interviewers were really nice. They smiled and nodded a lot and asked me some prompting questions if I finished before the time was up. 

As general advice for the interview:

If you can- go find the building the day before your interview (or a few hours before) so that you are not lost right before the interview is supposed to start.

Try to relax. In my first station, I remember my voice sounding shaky because of nerves. I took a moment in the interview to just take a deep breath before continuing on to my next sentence and it really helped. The interviewer seemed really understanding that this is nerve wracking and didn't seem to mind that I paused to collect myself a little bit. 

Like Psych_OT said, after a station is over try to let it go and focus on the next station. After my interview was over, I didn't feel very good about it. I thought I messed up some questions and gave poor answers, but I still ended up getting accepted. Sometimes they see things in you that you may not have realized and just because you thought a station went poorly doesn't mean that the interviewer thought the same. 

I hope that helps! 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, saskOT2019 said:

I also did the MMI for OT at McMaster last year and was accepted to the program. 

To prepare for the interview itself, I also just looked up sample MMI questions and practiced going through them. I tried to simulate the experience as best as I could by giving myself a couple minutes to think through the question and then talking through my answer out loud. I found that to be pretty helpful in learning how to pace the answers to my questions. I also did research on CAOT's website for general information about occupational therapy, which I found to be really helpful in getting me to think about the questions in the way an OT might. 

I also found that the interviewers were really nice. They smiled and nodded a lot and asked me some prompting questions if I finished before the time was up. 

As general advice for the interview:

If you can- go find the building the day before your interview (or a few hours before) so that you are not lost right before the interview is supposed to start.

Try to relax. In my first station, I remember my voice sounding shaky because of nerves. I took a moment in the interview to just take a deep breath before continuing on to my next sentence and it really helped. The interviewer seemed really understanding that this is nerve wracking and didn't seem to mind that I paused to collect myself a little bit. 

Like Psych_OT said, after a station is over try to let it go and focus on the next station. After my interview was over, I didn't feel very good about it. I thought I messed up some questions and gave poor answers, but I still ended up getting accepted. Sometimes they see things in you that you may not have realized and just because you thought a station went poorly doesn't mean that the interviewer thought the same. 

I hope that helps! 

Thank you for all the information!!

Do you mind if I ask what you wore/what you recommend to wear? 

11 minutes ago, MWUQ said:

Thank you for all the information!!

Do you mind if I ask what you wore/what you recommend to wear? 

Sure! I believe we were supposed to be business casual. I wore dress pants and a blazer with a nice shirt. For shoes, I wore little boots with a wedge heel. Someone told me last year that most people wear black so the blazer and pants I wore was a taupe colour, which seemed to stand out better. I’m not sure if it helped at all, but it may have helped me be a little bit more memorable. I would recommended wearing something comfortable, but professional. When it comes to shoes, my wedge heels were fine, but not everyone was wearing heels. Comfortable flats would work fine as well! I would also recommend tying your hair back out of your face so it’s not getting in the way during the writing station or while you’re in the interviews! 

I think the guys were wearing a dress shirt and dress pants without jackets, but I can’t exactly recall.

Archived