Premed 101 Forums

What counts as a publication?

Hello! Long story short I got two of my papers picked for my humanities major (both in history) and these are student publications (i.e: an undergraduate journal for my major). I was wondering if this counts as a publication as (a) it's not a scientific journal, and (b), it's a student-run (but edited by professors/TA) kind of journal. Not really about scientific methods and research either (which would be hard to do at the undergrad level for my arts major). I know it wouldn't hurt to publish them but I'd need to commit a lot of time to revising them, so I wanted to know if I should just publish one or if it's worth editing both. Thanks!

As you already note, publication in the terms of medical school applications predominantly means peer-reviewed scientific journals. They can be a difficult and very time consuming activity that very few undergrads achieve as a 1st or 2nd author. 

Don't get caught up in the hype that you need publications to be successful on med applications. You are maybe reading too much on premed101 and trying to equate yourself to Masters and PhD students who have dedicated years to this.

By all means you should still reference your history publications in your med applications as it is part of your accomplishments and shows excelling and dedication in an activity.  

Archived