Premed 101 Forums

Welcome New Moderator!

Guest Ian Wong

• 3 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

Just wanted to welcome our first new moderator of 2003. :) jmh2005 is a member of the first year meds class at McMaster along with AJ. Thanks for all your past and future contributions!

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 1 month later...
Guest macdaddyeh

Welcome westerngirl:

So Westerngirl, tell us a bit about yourself and your experience at Mac (I promise not to ask you to divulge your inside secrets:rolleyes ).

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Everyone (and Macdaddyeh and Chieka;) ),

Mac has been really great so far. When I was first applying, I was a little hesistant about PBL and self-directed learning. But now, I'm glad I am here and wouldn't trade it for anything! (Well, a more equal female:male ratio would be nice, but that's another thing all together!)

A bit about myself...I finished my undergrad at Western (hence my name!) just this past April in Health Sciences. So, I'm one of the "younger" ones at Mac.

And, I hope to be of assistance to you in your journey towards med school!

Guest macdreams

Hi WesternGirl, it's great to have you. :)

Your comments about being a younger mac attendee and part of the female majority interested me. I've applied to Mac for the first time this year and am just finishing my third year of undergrad. I was wondering what it's been like for you being younger than some of your classmates. I'm sure they're all amazing people (they got into Mac after all!!) and that you're all about the same maturity-wise but can you relate? Do you hang out? I guess what I'm really wondering is what Mac Med life is like from a mid-twenties, female POV. Also, I'm single and I have a feeling that being older a lot of Mac students are attached with their own families. Have you found there are others that can relate to your personal situation?

Sorry for ALL the questions... I just can't get enough info 'bout the place I'd LOVE to be :D:D

Thanks in advance:p

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Macdreams,

Even though Mac is known for having "older" medical students, a great deal of the class has come straight from undergrad or from their Masters. So, there are a lot of people who are in their mid-twenties, single, etc who are in a similar situation as I am in. In my current group, all my group members are single (that is, not married) and we have often gone out together outside our tutorials.

The really good thing about Mac is that there are tons of students who are single and there are many students who are married, and some with kids. So, you could find someone to "hang out" with, regardless of your situation.

That being said, I am finding that I get along with pretty much everyone I've met with so far. Of course, since I don't have kids, I can't really relate to any concerns, issues, etc the parents in my class have concerning parenting. But we all have the same worries, concerns about med school.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, perhaps you should start a new thread...as this one is for introducting new moderators.

Have fun waiting for those letters!

WesternGirl

Guest macdreams

Thanks, Westergirl! That answered my questions :)

Now I want that interview letter EVEN more, though!! (As if it were possible :D )

Thanks again,

MacDreams

• 2 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

Just wanted to welcome our newest moderator! macMDstudent is a current first year med student at McMaster. Thank you for joining us and sharing your experience. :)

Ian

Guest macMDstudent

Thanks for the welcome, and I hope my experience and opinions may be of help to others. I can help perhaps with the perspective of older students entering medicine as a second career, and those that have a family. I am married and have two young boys. As my classmate mentioned, I am one of the 24% of the class that is male.

I hope to have some fun in here, help give some insights if I can, and learn something new as a diversion from "reality" from time to time.

Archived