Premed 101 Forums

In general they are very different but in certain settings they are very similar. 

I applied to both because I love both. If I really had to pick one (which I might have to do soon) I’d go with PT because i think it would be easier to work as a PT in other countries. If I wasn’t going into PT or OT I really don’t know what else I’d do. All the other professions I researched don’t interest me. 

I think you get a lot of people are apply to OT as a back up for PT, because the GPA requirements tend to be a bit lower. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to "back up"  your OT application with a PT one, if you were feeling like your OT application was potentially weak. PT is hard to get into these days. Extremely hard. If I was an aspiring PT, I think it's pretty easy to look at OT and see appealing aspects, like hand therapy.

I also think a big contributor to the trend is that OT attracts a bit wider of set of backgrounds and experiences - I know I went into because of my interest in mental health, for example. PT was never something I even considered, and I imagine that applies to a lot of my classmates. 

Finally, it seems like PT in general has more requirements (i.e. I think Dal is one of the few OT schools that has both anatomy and physiology as pre-reqs for OT). If you have geared your application and course selection towards OT, it's not a given that you've taken the PT pre-reqs.

First-year OT student at Mac. 100% of the OT students in my class knew for a very long time that they wanted to do OT. From what I know, none of us applied for PT. I agree 100% with Hopplah about OT being the back-up due to it having a lower GPA entry by a couple points, and no pre-reqs for the Mac program at least.

Archived