Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed!

does anybody have advice on what I should do? I want to do a major in life science at McMaster as like premed but I’m not sure if I can do it. My sister didn’t make it into med school and my whole family isn’t supporting me in wanting to go. If I see that I can’t get at least a 3.6 gpa in life science first and second year and that my mcat score will be too low should I just go into an accelerated nursing program and later on become a np? Cause I want to have a backup plan if I can’t make it into med school or pa school and I know I won’t be able to do anything with a degree in life science. I would do a four year nursing degree but nursing is super hard and I def wouldn’t get a high enough gpa to get into med school. I really know that I want to go to med school so bad and being a nurse wouldn’t cut it for me. What major should I do that in ur opinion would be easier to get a high gpa in ? Kin life science or nutrition even I don’t know. Also I would be happy to make it into any pa program as well I’m open to options I just don’t think that I would be happy with nursing and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it into med school and I don’t want to be stuck like my sister. 

You can do whatever degree you want and make it into med school (if you have the prereqs the schools you are applying to require). So choose something that will make for a good plan B and do the prereqs as your electives. That's one option anyway. I am applying to med school with an international studies degree (mostly because I realized after graduating I wanted to switch fields), but I really enjoyed it, and that was worthwhile. Give yourself options and make sure they're options you are interested in (and not just because they seem practical). 

I’m not familiar with undergrad science programs so I won’t be offering any advice on that; however, from what I read in your post, I see that you are currently doubting yourself and you haven’t even begun the process.

I understand that your sister did not make it to medical school, but you are not your sister. To succeed at anything in life, you have believe in yourself. It’s unfortunate that your family does not support you, but don’t let them decide what you can or cannot achieve. Only you can decide that for yourself.

I also experienced a lot of push back from friends and family for switching careers and pursuing medicine. But I ignored them and chose to prove them wrong. It’s definitely not going to be easy. Many days you’ll feel overwhelmed and doubt yourself, but your conviction will be the thing that pulls you through.

Also have you asked yourself why you want to do medicine? Make sure it’s somehing that you really want to do.

If medical school is truly your dream, I’d definitely try for it. 

Best of luck on your journey.

Hi Angelav.

For forum etiquette please don't copy the same question across 5 different threads.

Guessing you are just finishing high school and have applied to Mac Life science.  Good for you ! Great school and great program.   It is a common path to medicine along with Health Sci and other similar science majors at other schools. Life sciences does help in prerequisites for some Med schools. It can help you get into research which can beneficial on your application (but not mandatory).  It also helps somewhat with MCAT prep.

You could do any undergrad degree really.  Engineering can be tough due to higher course load.  Nursing also can be problematic (from reading on here) related to P/F grading at some schools and course-load variations.  That said, my med class had both Engineers and Nurses in it.

You are too early to be doubting yourself.   Go to MAC life sciences  (if that is what you want to study).   Determine very early on in first year how to study and achieve high grads. Surround yourself with like-minded study partners.  Access and make use of resources your school provides right from the start.  You need to aim at +3.9 GPA, but don't be discouraged if you can not hit that in first term as it takes practice and perseverance to adjust to a new world at University.

You can do it !

Archived