Premed 101 Forums

Observerships/Electives

Guest everyoneloveschem

Guest everyoneloveschem

How quickly can initiate these after starting? This fall is the start of first year for me, but I am keen to start trying out different areas of medicine so that I can get a better idea of where I want to focus my attention later on.

Do you simply find a physician willing to have you, or is there a formal process? In terms of finding physicians, do you just randomly ask around?

Thanks.

The Electives Catalogue (www.medicine.uottawa.ca/electives/eng/) is THE place to start. It has who to contact, whether they take 1st years (most do), and what you will likely get to do.

Most of them are direct physician contact and easy to set up (except for peds and surg.. which require a middle-person that coordinates everything, and there's usually a delay).

Probably best to hold on until you get your first block schedule.. you will have most Tuesdays off.. but when you request electives you should say Date and Time, and without those there's not much point.

And yah, you can also ask docs you run into.. PBL tutors, lecturers.. whoevs. They're a lot of fun and you learn SO much.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Okay, I checked out some of them, but many seem to be for upper years, and many only have a few spots open at one time.

Am I not supposed to want to try surgery before 3rd year? Do I just have to arrange my own, with a surgeon independent of the elective program?

OT6, you were the one who posted about going North, right? That sounds awesome! Are you in 2nd year, ie, will you ever be around to tell us first years about it?

Sure you can do surg! I know classmates that did last year.

F.M. Shamji, MD, FRCSC, Director

Undergraduate Surgical Education

That's the contact, try googling for an email address and send an email saying you'd like to do an elective.

And I'm going into 2nd year, I can tell you all the gory drunken brawl stories during o-week :)

Guest satsumargirl

You can arrange a surgical elective in 1st year, it just depends on what the specialization is.

For instance, I did a neurosurgery elective over x-mas break 1st year. But they won't let me do an ENT elective until 3rd year.

There are different education coordinators for different specialities. At the beginning of last year, we received a book with a list. I am sure you will get one at some point as well.

Also keep in mind that the electives page is a little outdated as I found out trying to set up some electives for the coming year.

Good Luck!

Guest Talon01

If you can personally find someone to take you on it doesn't matter what the block thing says. I did an ortho, gen surg , and cardio surg elective but I contacted the physicians myself.

Good luck!

Guest everyoneloveschem

So should I email Dr Shamji now, or wait until school starts? Should I even bother, or wait until I get there and meet physicians who I think I would work well with? I'd like to get the ball rolling, but I don't want to look like a super keener :) .

Guest satsumargirl

Do you guys have your block schedule yet? It may be best to wait for that schedule so you know when you have off. If I recall the first block is a little more irregular in scheduling than others....since there are sometimes information sessions and things. But I really don`t remember.

It really is up to you. You may wish to just settle in and get a feel for PBLs and PSD and stuff before doing an elective. Starting early you may wish to also choose an area you already have some background in....I don`t think I would have gotten as much out of my neurosurgery elective if I didn`t already have a neuro background.

It may take a little while to set up electives too, but they usually prefer that you have some dates/times in mind when you make your request.

Good luck!

Sats

Archived