Premed 101 Forums

Is there a right prep course to take for individuals with a limited science background?

ballsortahard

My hope is to write the MCAT at the end of the summer, I've just graduated with my bachelors in mechanical engineering so I have only really been exposed to general chemistry and physics.

I've started studying for the MCAT independently, but am feeling a little overwhelmed and think I would benefit from the "structure" of a prep course. My concern is that these courses would assume that I will know everything content wise, and really rush through the material. This isn't a huge issue because I will be studying full time, so hopefully I could review every day after the class (which seem to usually be about 3 hours long), but it would be great to know if one of the classes emphasizes content review more than the others.

Prep101 and Princeton Review both seem like solid choices. Prep101 because it seems to be hyped up a lot on this forum, it also offers each class twice which could be helpful. I've also heard that Princeton Review is more detailed than other courses which I assume would be better if you're learning the material from scratch. I was going to register from Prep101 but I wanted to see if someone could recommend a potentially better MCAT course.

Im in a TPR prep course, I took it last year as well but im currently studying for my retake and I also dont have a science background. Im sort of familiar with many concepts but I dont know anything in great detail and the TPR course is very fast paced. There is lots of homework and reading in addition to class but some of it isnt the best because they try to make it more difficult than the actual test to prepare you - in reality its just demoralizing lol. I think its a good refresher and it gives you a group of people who you can ask questions to but despite that, it might be a bit fast paced as they assume you have a background in it already.

I studied for the MCAT out of engineering as well, and while I didn't take a course, I found Kaplan books really helpful because they started from the basics. I would recommend looking into what additional resources you get with each of the courses (videos, practice questions, modules, etc.), that might be really helpful for you to get a good foundation.

P.S. While there is a lot to know for the MCAT for sure, I found that the engineering prepared me really well for the chem/phys, and generally the analytical mindset that is required. Good luck!

Archived