Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlisters Unite1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to have a back up plan prepared during the whole application process to keep me from getting too stressed. So right now I'm just assuming plan B is now plan A, and that I'll be doing a masters in the fall!

Plan B is still plan B NOCat, what's important is that Plan B compliments Plan A ;)

Hey I've been lurking this page since last Tuesday. Its my first year being waitlisted. I'm excited but also disappointed because we don't have our numbers this year. It feels like some cruel joke they played on us. I live in Sudbury and guess I will be looking for employment now since I have no idea what will happen.

I imagine the not giving out ranks to waitlisters this year is probably to be more in line with other ON schools are doing...with them all being part of OMSAS, who knows if they felt a push to stop releasing ranks as they used to. It's hard to predict but I'm sure it was more of an administration/logistical issue than something that was meant to give you guys more grief...but it is totally frustrating, I agree, if you are used to getting your ranks and now you have no idea. Just remember that waitlisters across the province and even most of the country can sympathize with you.

Sorry I would make a new post, but I don't know how to....

Does anyone know if NOSM is able to give feedback to those that were waitlisted or rejected as to how they are able to improve their application for the next cycle if they are not admitted?

Sorry I would make a new post, but I don't know how to....

Does anyone know if NOSM is able to give feedback to those that were waitlisted or rejected as to how they are able to improve their application for the next cycle if they are not admitted?

NOSM was unique in this regard that they used to give feedback to unsuccessful applicants.  However, the last cycle they did so was the 2011-12 cycle.  They no longer do this. 

nwo_tbay, are you waitlisted as well?

Hey I've been lurking this page since last Tuesday. Its my first year being waitlisted. I'm excited but also disappointed because we don't have our numbers this year. It feels like some cruel joke they played on us. I live in Sudbury and guess I will be looking for employment now since I have no idea what will happen.

Welcome Melly731!  So good to have lurkers joining us, may we all benefit from collective waitlist knowledge.  Stay strong.

I haven't heard anything yet besides what one poster said about their friend being accepted last week.  Apparently around 36 people have joined the NOSM Meds 2020 facebook page, which, adjusting for those who perhaps don't have facebook, I estimate around 20 people still have not replied regarding their acceptances.  

Hang in there everyone!   

I can help out by giving you guys some concrete numbers. On the Facebook page there are currently 28 new students who have introduced themselves but there are no doubt a few others (at least 3) who have joined and just not posted yet. Also it might be useful for some of you to know that there are a few students wanting to change campuses making it more likely that the first few people off the waitlist will be coming to the west campus. 

I can help out by giving you guys some concrete numbers. On the Facebook page there are currently 28 new students who have introduced themselves but there are no doubt a few others (at least 3) who have joined and just not posted yet. Also it might be useful for some of you to know that there are a few students wanting to change campuses making it more likely that the first few people off the waitlist will be coming to the west campus.

Thanks for the info. Did any of those people mention being off of the wailist?

rural_roots, yes I am also on the waitlist (I have been a lurker for quite some time, but the past couple of months I have avoided this forum as it was making me crazy with anxiety!). I finally gave in and made an account yesterday! I have also been rooting for you all the way, as I cannot express how much respect I have for you given your progress with NOSM all these years (really hoping this is your year!). As for some updated waitlist information, a co-worker of mine was accepted off the waitlist yesterday (No FB, so it would not have added to the group) as well as I know of another 2 nursing students who were accepted Monday. Fingers crossed for those of us still hoping for that email!

rural_roots, yes I am also on the waitlist (I have been a lurker for quite some time, but the past couple of months I have avoided this forum as it was making me crazy with anxiety!). I finally gave in and made an account yesterday! I have also been rooting for you all the way, as I cannot express how much respect I have for you given your progress with NOSM all these years (really hoping this is your year!). As for some updated waitlist information, a co-worker of mine was accepted off the waitlist yesterday (No FB, so it would not have added to the group) as well as I know of another 2 nursing students who were accepted Monday. Fingers crossed for those of us still hoping for that email!

Welcome!  Wow, new kid shows up and totally brings it with the juicy info!!   Thanks nwo_tbay!

Also, thank you so much for your kind words regarding my progress.  Sometimes it's difficult to feel progress is being made when years of your life go by and your daily routine largely stays the same.  But as the great Marc Anthony said, "Forward, forward, ever forward."  (I don't know if he actually said that.  I might have just made that up).

So, if our anecdotal information is anywhere near correct, we have one off the waitlist from last week, and 3 more this week according to nwo_tbay.  So, 4 minimum.... maybe a couple more to be safe that we don't know about - I'm going to guess 6 people have been called.  That's only half of what it moved last year... still lots of hope left everyone!

I bought a really nice bottle of sparkling wine a few months ago, and have been saving it for good NOSM news... today's positive anecdote was from last night:  I was rearranging stuff in the fridge and pulled it out and said, "I WILL drink you soon."

RR

Hey Everyone,

Thought I would write since I have been using this forum a lot this cycle.

I was offered a position at the Thunder Bay campus off the waitlist this morning (7:53 am).

Extremely excited to get in! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Congratulations!

Did they call or email?

"Dear Applicant,

The following movement has occurred on the ranked waitlist for the Entering class of 2016:

The class now has 59 confirmed learners. At this time we are awaiting response from the remaining 5 offers that have been already sent out.

We made 15 additional offers from the waitlist. Therefore, 31 applicants remain on the waitlist.

You will receive another update in 1 week or prior to that if the class reaches 64 confirmed learners."

Good to have the update at least.

Archived