Premed 101 Forums

Feeling hopeless (master's student, damaged undergrad)

Hey folks, 

I have a situation, and was wondering what're my chances ( I am open to out of country ideas)

I did my undergraduate degree in the sciences, really late I am 30yo. In my first two years, I had a really really hard time adjusting to university courses and my GPA was horrendous. I thought that was it, any chances I had at become an emergency doctor down the toilet. I gave up on it and thought to just finish my bachelors and get a job. In my third year, I drastically improved and my GPA went up (got 3.7/4.0 that year). And in fourth year I managed to get a 3.9/4.0. I took a year off after second year to get some science-work experience (in our school you get course credit for this) and worked as a lab tech in a health lab. I was good at research so I applied for a Master's in medical sciences and am now doing research in a cardiology lab at Schulich school of Medicine (Western). I got a scholarship and am getting awarded at conferences and am doing well in research. But...in the medical school I see doctors all the time, and its just a reminder that was the career I wanted. 

I don;t want to give up on being an emergency doctor. I am studying for my MCAT at the moment to write the exam in May.

I was looking at medical school admissions and it is really complicated for graduate students, plus taking repeated courses into account (I retook a 2nd year course in my 3rd year). My 2 years of undergrad that I messed up puts me at a huge disadvantage since my cumulative uGPA is a 3.2 (based on AMCAS), my GPA in my last two years is a 3.8/4.0 and my grad school GPA is a solid 3.9/4.0. Plus every school has different ways of taking repeated courses into account. Western is out because I retook a course in one of my two top years. I am not sure what to do, I know dal, queens and uofc take the top two years OR top two years + graduate courses. I was wondering if I should give US MD or DO schools a shot? I am also open to the carribean...I know they have a bad rep but I am only thinking of SGU or AUC (top two). Australia/Ireland are out, there is no way I can afford that or my family can.

I am almost 35 and can't go back to undergrad. Do I have a chance at being an emergency dr or should I flush that dream down the toilet and go for a PhD-->Post doc route?

thanks folks.

It's really encouraging to see someone so motivated after everything you've been through. I'm not an admission stats expert, so I won't comment on your chances. But what I do what to say is: make sure you want what medicine actually is, not what it looks like. Have you shadowed emerg docs? At your age there is significant opportunity costs associated with a career shift. Make sure the day-to-day is actually what you want before you pay that cost.

If you don't see yourself doing any other specialty in medicine other than EM, I won't even bother applying. There are only 2 ways to become an EM doc (5-yr FRCPC or FM+1 in EM), both of which are very competitive. In your case, getting into medical school is already a challenge and there is no guarantee that you can become an EM doc even if you do get in.

What was the nature of that difficult adjustment to university courses? This is important, because if you are someone who requires a good learning environment, a balanced life, and a lot of support, then you won't find it in the Caribbean. At those schools, it is sink or swim, and no one will care if you make it or not.

Application process is hard for everyone no matter the GPA or background. :)I think,  since you already invested yourself into repeating courses, try to drop doubts at this point. Focus on MCAT, apply to as many schools as you can afford and, hopefully, you will get interview since you have good ECs.  :)  Age wise you are within reasonable range and will have at least 25 years of practice once you complete the program.  I personally  know someone who got an interview with a low GPA and people who went to medschool in their 40s. Your establihed career is a huge advantage because you have a plan B while many people don't and are left in despaire in case of rejection. Wishing you best of luck!  

This is probably the last post I'm going to be making on these forums and I think this a good way to send it off.

1. It's completely and 100% normal now, specifically in Canada, working on getting in for a couple of years after undergraduate. We have few schools and more applicants than there a seats. So the economics behind it makes sense as to why it's competitive. Plus, the upside of getting into a Canadian school is huge (way less debt, etc). All in all, it's a marathon.

2. Break down all your years of education into Fall semester/Winter semester structure and look at how many courses you took in each year.

3. Look at each schools admission policies, using that, calculate your GPA for each school.

4. Take the MCAT, a huge roadblock for many, as people with high GPA's get screwed over by this test. This could take a couple of retakes as well.

5. See which schools you are competitive for, which schools are doable with more years of school, and which are absolutely impossible. I can tell you University of Toronto is out unless you have a PhD (next point relates to this).

6. Since some schools consider PhD in there calculations, look at how specifically they take that into consideration.

It seems Western, Dal, and Queen's might be doable since you say your 3rd year and 4th year are 3.7 and 3.9 respectively. Your situation is not bad at all, your just limiting yourself since you say you can't go back for my UG years.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, Wartortle said:

This is probably the last post I'm going to be making on these forums and I think this a good way to send it off.

1. It's completely and 100% normal now, specifically in Canada, working on getting in for a couple of years after undergraduate. We have few schools and more applicants than there a seats. So the economics behind it makes sense as to why it's competitive. Plus, the upside of getting into a Canadian school is huge (way less debt, etc). All in all, it's a marathon.

2. Break down all your years of education into Fall semester/Winter semester structure and look at how many courses you took in each year.

3. Look at each schools admission policies, using that, calculate your GPA for each school.

4. Take the MCAT, a huge roadblock for many, as people with high GPA's get screwed over by this test. This could take a couple of retakes as well.

5. See which schools you are competitive for, which schools are doable with more years of school, and which are absolutely impossible. I can tell you University of Toronto is out unless you have a PhD (next point relates to this).

6. Since some schools consider PhD in there calculations, look at how specifically they take that into consideration.

It seems Western, Dal, and Queen's might be doable since you say your 3rd year and 4th year are 3.7 and 3.9 respectively. Your situation is not bad at all, your just limiting yourself since you say you can't go back for my UG years.

This is really helpful, thank you so much for responding. It is motivating and definitely pushing me. Right now im pouring all my time into studying for the MCAT. thanks u for the post, really helpful.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, Kiki-Mora said:

Application process is hard for everyone no matter the GPA or background. :)I think,  since you already invested yourself into repeating courses, try to drop doubts at this point. Focus on MCAT, apply to as many schools as you can afford and, hopefully, you will get interview since you have good ECs.  :)  Age wise you are within reasonable range and will have at least 25 years of practice once you complete the program.  I personally  know someone who got an interview with a low GPA and people who went to medschool in their 40s. Your establihed career is a huge advantage because you have a plan B while many people don't and are left in despaire in case of rejection. Wishing you best of luck!  

Thank you, this is very motivating. I didn't realize a lot of older folks go to medical, I thought I was pushing it. Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived