Premed 101 Forums

New cGPA at U of A

Oh that's actually a big change, their full time academic year is now even less than U of C's. Personally this helps me since I had a good first year GPA wise but i only did 3 courses each semester in my 1st year, while my 2nd year wasn't as good. I wonder if they still rank people who have 4 courses or 5 courses during their fall/winter semester better than those who only did 3 as a sign of having a better experience of having a rigorous coursework that could potentially prepare them better for the MD curriculum?

4 hours ago, demir2119 said:

I wonder if they still rank people who have 4 courses or 5 courses during their fall/winter semester better than those who only did 3 as a sign of having a better experience of having a rigorous coursework that could potentially prepare them better for the MD curriculum?

I sure hope so...

They let 4th year applicants drop a year in the past if you met weighting rules.

This change will lead to lower average GPAs for a bunch of applicants (myself included, that 0.08 drop stings...), but since it'll affect a lot of people I think the overall competitiveness change will be minimal. Yes, it's annoying for 4th year applicants with good/ok 1st years, and great years after, but unless you had a horrible 1st year and are a 4th year applicant I don't think this is a huge change (speaking only to dropping the year, not the other changes). 

The only people who really lose out are 4th year applicants with horrible 1st years that now pull them under the cutoff. E.g a sub 2.0 first year GPA and 2 4.0 years (2nd and 3rd) would put you below the cutoff. Substitute those two 4.0 years for 3.x years and the floor for 1st year Mark's increases. 

Not in my understanding: 

"For those students who have completed three or more years of transferable post-secondary coursework, we will exclude the lowest academic year (September through April) from calculation, provided it is not the most recent year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

Completed 3=4th year applicant. 

2 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Not in my understanding: 

"For those students who have completed three or more years of transferable post-secondary coursework, we will exclude the lowest academic year (September through April) from calculation, provided it is not the most recent year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

Completed 3=4th year applicant. 

The description on the website has changed. It now says:

”For applicants presenting 4 or more full-time academic years (September through April) of transferable post-secondary coursework, we may exclude the lowest academic year from calculation, provided that it is not the most recent full-time academic year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw.”

I think the new definition implies that fourth years won’t get the wGPA since it says that APPLICANTS must present 4 full-time years, and not that you must have 4 full-time years by the time of matriculation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:16 PM, MedicineLCS said:

They let 4th year applicants drop a year in the past if you met weighting rules.

This change will lead to lower average GPAs for a bunch of applicants (myself included, that 0.08 drop stings...), but since it'll affect a lot of people I think the overall competitiveness change will be minimal. Yes, it's annoying for 4th year applicants with good/ok 1st years, and great years after, but unless you had a horrible 1st year and are a 4th year applicant I don't think this is a huge change (speaking only to dropping the year, not the other changes). 

The only people who really lose out are 4th year applicants with horrible 1st years that now pull them under the cutoff. E.g a sub 2.0 first year GPA and 2 4.0 years (2nd and 3rd) would put you below the cutoff. Substitute those two 4.0 years for 3.x years and the floor for 1st year Mark's increases. 

If I apply on July right after I graduate in May (I will be done 4 years of Bsc), will they drop my first year? Like I will be done undergrad, and then I will apply. I am planning on taking a gap year after I am done undergrad, and the whole year I will be completing my application for med school. Let me know, thanks.

1 hour ago, afnanjuma said:

If I apply on July right after I graduate in May (I will be done 4 years of Bsc), will they drop my first year? Like I will be done undergrad, and then I will apply. I am planning on taking a gap year after I am done undergrad, and the whole year I will be completing my application for med school. Let me know, thanks.

Yeah you'll get the wGPA which will drop your worst year.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know how they treat repeated courses if the first attempt was a fail? I've sent them like 3 emails and they don't answer my exact question. They've told me that when a course is repeated, they only include the first SUCCESSFUL attempt. If I failed a course the first time and got an A- when repeated, will the fail count even though it was not a successful attempt?