Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnMan

I need your advice

Guys please I need your advice

My score is 509 ———-

127 - 124 - 130 - 128 

I’m an ESL student. I struggle with CARS. I understand the passages very well but I need a little more time. 

My GPA in undergrad (Health Sciences) is 4/4 (95.8%)

I have 6 ECs, 6 volunteering (4 are medical/related) & had 7 jobs in different non profit organizations. I also have research and publications.

Should I retake? I live in Ontario btw. Canadian universities value CARS so much (which makes zero sense since all sections require comprehension it’s just idc about the arch nemesis or Chinese ceramic passages). I can apply to almost all universities with this mcat score, but idk if I have a chance with that CARS score.

Go ahead and apply this cycle.  It is too late to re-write for this cycle anyways. 

You probably have a shot at Ottawa and U of T.    The CARS score excludes you from Western and probably Queens/MAC.

If no interview success this cycle then do an MCAT re-write next summer. 

On 9/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, JohnMan said:

Guys please I need your advice

My score is 509 ———-

127 - 124 - 130 - 128 

I’m an ESL student. I struggle with CARS. I understand the passages very well but I need a little more time. 

My GPA in undergrad (Health Sciences) is 4/4 (95.8%)

I have 6 ECs, 6 volunteering (4 are medical/related) & had 7 jobs in different non profit organizations. I also have research and publications.

Should I retake? I live in Ontario btw. Canadian universities value CARS so much (which makes zero sense since all sections require comprehension it’s just idc about the arch nemesis or Chinese ceramic passages). I can apply to almost all universities with this mcat score, but idk if I have a chance with that CARS score.

I am going to make a long post on how to approach the CARS section sometime this month.

As @Meridian meticulously pointed out,  you do have a very good chance at schools that don't require it (Ottawa) and schools that use it as a cut-off (UofT). 

Put all of your efforts on the UofT BPE's. I have written a long post on the UofT page on how to approach those. You are welcome to consult that. 

As for what to do to ace the CARS, my advice is to read good books frequently. 

Delve into various topics in anthropology, linguistics, philosophy, history and other domains. Always try to read with a critical mindset in mind and ask yourself what is the author talking about and why should I care. 

If you need a list of book recommendations, let me know and I will happily give you some.