Premed 101 Forums

37 minutes ago, Mellow Pharaoh said:

Where exactly? Never said so in the instructions for the personal activities...

https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/non-academic-requirements

Under "Personal Activities"
"As all activities are verified, you must provide us with the contact information for someone who can confirm the details you have provided for each activity. You should not be using yourself as a verifier."

23 hours ago, Mellow Pharaoh said:

I put myself down as a verifier for my self-employed activity, however, I also have another verifier added to this activity as well.

For my awards and honors, I put myself down as well.

For both activities, I mentioned that I have documents available that can verify both activities. For both, I also added in a supporting URL as well.

Did anyone else do something similar? Will this lead to further complications/implications?

Why would you ever do this? It's just so silly to think you don't have ANYONE else to help verify your activities. 

- G 

I was referring to the secondary application.  Didn't mention that there. Whoops. My bad.

Only reason I put myself for the honors and awards was cause I have documentation for each award. The amount of awards I have come from multiple places and it just seems so much more reasonable for me to provide the documentation than for me to contact 5 people. Even if I put down only two people, they'll eventually need to contact me for the rest of the documentation for the other awards.

For the self-employed thing, I put down another verifier (a client), so that should be all good.

Maybe I should message them to change up the verifiers for the awards? 

6 minutes ago, Mellow Pharaoh said:

I was referring to the secondary application.  Didn't mention that there. Whoops. My bad.

Only reason I put myself for the honors and awards was cause I have documentation for each award. The amount of awards I have come from multiple places and it just seems so much more reasonable for me to provide the documentation than for me to contact 5 people. Even if I put down only two people, they'll eventually need to contact me for the rest of the documentation for the other awards.

For the self-employed thing, I put down another verifier (a client), so that should be all good.

Maybe I should message them to change up the verifiers for the awards? 

Yeah I would - it is annoying but finding a verifier for all of these things - even if you really do need 5 - is the way to go. These rules aren't always about being reasonable - they are designed to prevent abuse and to reduce the work load (normally they contact the verifier, with this they would contact you, get the documentation and then process it, and then still contact someone else and send them the verifier forms to confirm the documentation is not forged etc. That's >3 times the steps). 

Honest mistake though, and very likely correctable. 

Edited by rmorelan

4 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Yeah I would - it is annoying but finding a verifier for all of these things - even if you really do need 5 - is the way to go. These rules aren't always about being reasonable - they are designed to prevent abuse and to reduce the work load (normally they contact the verifier, with this they would contact you, get the documentation and then process it, and then still contact someone else and send them the verifier forms to confirm the documentation is not forged etc. That's >3 times the steps). 

Honest mistake though, and very likely correctable. 

Yeah, it just seems like more work is needed than necessary.  Other schools, especially the ones in Ontario seem to be okay with letting you be the verifier for stuff like this if you have the documentation.  I think UoC allows this too.

However,  it is clearly a mistake on my part for not paying attention to all of the instructions from all sources for the application.  I'll email them to change up/add in the verifiers and hopefully they do so. If not, I understand why they would void the honors/awards section I added.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 11/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, kimin said:

I also put myself as a verifier for a self-employed activity. This is no big deal. You can still enter to the form link and then select that you ARE the applicant, and immediately thereafter submit the form. If they are really concerned that the activity might not be fully legitimate, they'll contact you. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, rmorelan said:

yeah they are likely not that cruel - if you are open about the mistake. 

Just an update on the situation, but you guys were right. It appears to not be as big of a deal as I thought it would be. As long as the activity is legitimate, there is no need to worry! Just select that you ARE the applicant when it comes to submitting the form via the link they send you (as kimin mentioned).