Premed 101 Forums

Stuck on a Treadmill - Need Advice (Canadian Applicant)

HenryJ

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant who graduated in 2018 with a 3.69 cGPA/3.8 GPA to Western/Queen's & 3.7 GPA to US schools.

My MCAT is 516 (129/127/130/130) (2019) (Past: 509, 512) and I have a very strong EC and research experience with no publications.

I had no interview invites the last 2 years (Canada & US) and I'm afraid it was due to my low GPA for Canadian schools. For US schools, my options were very limited as I did not meet some course pre-reqs, and I understand space is limited for Canadian applicants.

I feel like I'm getting no where in my 3rd application cycle and I thought of some future plans, but not sure if these would be helpful

1) Should I retake the MCAT (Feb/Mar) and aim for a CARS 128+ (Would open up Western)

2) Should I go to Grad School (2yrs) would this investment be worth it (Would make it easier for UofT & Queen's). Also wondering if there is a disadvantage to a course-based grad program.

3) Instead of Grad, should I go back to school to meet pre-reqs for US schools? Even with them would it really increase my chances?

4) Should I apply abroad (Ireland, Australia, etc)? I heard there are 6 year programs which would take the same amount of time as going to grad school here + 4 yrs med. I'm also afraid of the debt I'll be in as well as having to live in extremely rural areas.

I know this is what I really want, but I feel like I'm spending too much time stuck in the application cycles and want to find a way to be more beneficial to my application. I'm wondering if there are truly no options for a student who is stuck with their GPA.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If you’re only IP in Ontario examine processes for obtaining IP status in other provinces. 

On average applicants apply at least 3 times before getting in.

There’s many examples on this forum of people applying 5+ times (myself included!) before matriculating. 

Too soon to jump ship to another continent unless you are informed about the risks for this. 

1 hour ago, LostLamb said:

If you’re only IP in Ontario examine processes for obtaining IP status in other provinces. 

On average applicants apply at least 3 times before getting in.

There’s many examples on this forum of people applying 5+ times (myself included!) before matriculating. 

Too soon to jump ship to another continent unless you are informed about the risks for this. 

Thank you for the advice :D Do you think my GPA is too low to keep trying? I'm worried they just may be futile attempts. That's why I was considering Grad School to maybe help me get into UofT. I was planning on retaking the MCAT for a 128+ CARS regardless

3 minutes ago, Ontariomedschools said:

Have you considered DO schools in the US? I think you have a good chance there

I have, and talked to doctors who recommended it.. until I realized I didn't have the prereqs. Prereqs reaalllyyy killing my options in the US

If i wanted the meet the prereqs would I have to go back to undergrad? Confused on how that works or if that's even allowed at this stage (ie. going back to take some first year courses; but this might actually be bad since they're low level courses(?))

4 minutes ago, HenryJ said:

I have, and talked to doctors who recommended it.. until I realized I didn't have the prereqs. Prereqs reaalllyyy killing my options in the US

If i wanted the meet the prereqs would I have to go back to undergrad? Confused on how that works or if that's even allowed at this stage (ie. going back to take some first year courses; but this might actually be bad since they're low level courses(?))

what is missing? taking some course obviously to hit some prereqs quite often is quit fine. 

Just now, rmorelan said:

what is missing? taking some course obviously to hit some prereqs quite often is quit fine. 

I'm missing English but I'm afraid I might bomb it lol. Also some lab based courses like physics and chem (I took a full year non lab physics course and most of my chem courses were non lab as well). 

So in my case I should just enrol in some courses at my undergraduate institute? Or should I try looking at smaller colleges if that makes getting grades easier?

I'm wondering if this is all worth it because going back to take prereqs would only aid in going to the US, and I'm wondering if my GPA would even be competitive in the Canadian/International pool

Have you looked at Athabasca or TRU for the missing labs?

not sure if you can get away from doing the full course with labs...that’s a question for the schools you’d apply to. 

English isn’t as bad as you think if you choose wisely. 

If you do make up courses make sure that they are from a uni or are university equivalent.

your gpa is not horrific, despite what you might see on this board. It becomes a barrier when it comes to schools that begin selection by hard gpa cut offs. Hence, you need to do your research about other schools’ applications  

I will leave mcat commentary to others who more versed in it.

grad school is a double edged sword, tread carefully  it’s not a one year commitment—and it’s not like undergrad where if you do the time you get the degree ;)

chin up and do your research on schools and policies, really that’s the key here.