Premed 101 Forums

Worth applying OOP with a lower GPA?

With around an 85% average you would need an extremely high NAQ score to make the interview cutoff. That's generally why those who get OOP interviews have averages above 90. Rural or not, you'll need a near perfect NAQ to get an interview. Worth a shot if you feel you've got great non-academics.

41 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

With around an 85% average you would need an extremely high NAQ score to make the interview cutoff. That's generally why those who get OOP interviews have averages above 90. Rural or not, you'll need a near perfect NAQ to get an interview. Worth a shot if you feel you've got great non-academics.

Thanks! Which GPA would be good enough to not need an extremely high NAQ score? 

38 minutes ago, not me said:

I'm in the exact same situation. I am even thinking about moving to BC for work and then apply the next round. Have anyone tried that?

Since it doesn't actually take super long (compared to some of the other provinces that is) to gain IP status in BC, I do know that there are some applicants who do indeed do this

15 hours ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Don't take this as fact but I've heard the timeframe of 6 months talked about in other threads (I believe)

It comes from this website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

You need a BC Services card to be considered IP, and you can apply for this card after 6 months of living in BC.

43 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

It comes from this website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

You need a BC Services card to be considered IP, and you can apply for this card after 6 months of living in BC.

I’ll just add you must have the actual card by the application deadline in order to apply (UBC won’t accept any other proof of coverage / MSP enrollment), so depending on processing time this could take longer than 6 months.

14 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I’ll just add you must have the actual card by the application deadline in order to apply (UBC won’t accept any other proof of coverage / MSP enrollment), so depending on processing time this could take longer than 6 months.

For sure! For some it can take a couple of months to get this card I believe