Premed 101 Forums

Tattoos

MEDNUT97

I've always wondered the same thing - I got my tattoo on my back so that I could easily cover it for medical school interviews, etc. It seems that less people are looking down on tattooed professionals, but I wanted to play it safe.  :o

That nurse probably should have covered hers up, at least in the presence of that patient. I can see how a prominent skull tat might be disturbing to someone who's acutely sick.

That nurse probably should have covered hers up, at least in the presence of that patient. I can see how a prominent skull tat might be disturbing to someone who's acutely sick.

Lolol, The irony and massive amount of coincidence that it took to have a doctor with a skull tattoo caring for a sick patient is almost Shakespearean.

Playing devil's advocate, seems like respectability politics gone awry. I see patients disturbed by being cared for by orderlies or nurse having dark skin or wearing hijabs, are we suppose to accommodate that tomfoolery? I'm not equating skin color or cultural garb to body modification, but lets be honest what are the chances her disdain of tattoos had nothing to do with her state at that time...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say the tattoo would be ok as long as it's completely covered by scrubs or a t-shirt, not just partially covered. Not that I'm in any way against getting tattoos as long as you're doing it safely, but medicine has some very old people that are very old-fashioned working in the field, and you just might get into more trouble than it's worth for it. If I had to get one it'd either be on my shoulder/back or on my ankle 'cause there's generally no professional setting where those would be visible, but then I could still show them off in more informal settings (I don't wear shorts to work).

Very interesting comment, I agree.

I have a few tattoos, one that is sort of visual on the inside of my upper arm. It has great significance and is usually taken well, even by the old folk! I am not a med student yet, but I do hospital research and spend tons of time with the oldies. I usually establish a positive relationship with them, get them on my side and THEN reveal that I have a tattoo.. sort of an 'oh well I guess they don't make you a biker or sailor after all' sort of technique. I think its all about timing and picking spots when it comes to tattoos. I have no regrets and will likely get more.

Thanks for everyone who posted their opinions.

Archived