Premed 101 Forums

CARS Help/Tips?

RadLife:

Hello everyone! (first post aha, long time lurker) 

I will be writing the MCAT for the first time this year (2nd YR UG) and can't manage to get CARS skills down. I am working full time so it's hard to find time to do passages however on the commute and lunch I usually manage to do some CARS. 

I think my self-reflection is pretty good as my scores on EK are around 1~3 wrong. However, I feel as if the med school I want to get into won't be happy with a low CARS score (Mac Med). Also, I still feel like I am just reading the passage and not getting the main idea. I started CARS practice around 3 weeks ago. 

I have been doing the passages untimed, so I am not sure how much time I am taking as I am just trying to understand my own way of approaching a passage.

This my technique for practicing right now and was wondering if any of you wonderful people can help me improve or replace it with something better.

I usually read the passage (fairly fast as it helps me not get bogged down in detail)

When I am finished reading and it is time to answer the questions, I note down what I think of each of the choice (right/wrong) (takes quite sometime, therefore still go untimed). After I do that and finalize my answer for each question, I then check the answers.

After this, I review each question, regardless of if I got it right or wrong, comparing my thought process with the books A/E. 

However, I still feel as if I am guessing on quite some questions, and that I have to soon start working on timing (Exam in 1 month). Also, my concerns are that I can read the passage but I cannot see the connecting arguments and explanations and why the author chose this and here and for what reason. Questions reading least support and most supported are also the ones that I usually get wrong. Also, questions that ask what/who the passage might be useful is one that I 100% almost always get wrong. 

I will be forever thankful for any help I get in order to help me with CARS. (ARIGATO GOZIMAZZU)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived