Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys!

So to get straight to the point: I've never become buddy buddy or best friends with a prof. Sure there's profs I've sat near the front for or talked to a bunch of times after class, or had convo with them in a lab setting etc. But I don't think there's any profs that will have remembered me fully by name or have amazing things to say about things I've done. However, for a lab course, there is a TA that supervised two of my research projects in the course and I had a great relationship with.

With the prof, I've known her for 2 years but I fear the letter would be very general (with maybe a few specific points), if they're writing many med school letters (which they likely are) I doubt I am the person they most want to succeed.

With the TA, I think the letter would be more specific and hopefully more positive as I believe she genuinely liked me and we were friends in the lab course, but I've known only her half a year and they're a masters student.

So, What's the say about having a TA as your academic reference rather than a prof? Pros/Cons? Which should I go with?

@Dynamite There is nothing wrong with asking a prof how they would write about you. They will let you know if they don't know you well enough to write anything of meaning. They are there to speak to your academic qualities, so you don't need to go out for drinks with them in your spare time. Most will ask for your CV so they can get a better understanding of who you are outside of the classroom. 

Archived