Premed 101 Forums
rmorelan

Bank of Canada Rises Rates - again!

3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

and there was the official announcement of the expected rate increase, with possible projections of another one or two increases further this year. 

Yea.. I read somewhere that there are speculations of the BoC targeting 1.75%-2% by the end of the year - averaging about an .25p.p. increase/qtr

13 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

Yea.. I read somewhere that there are speculations of the BoC targeting 1.75%-2% by the end of the year - averaging about an .25p.p. increase/qtr

something like that - the economy is moving ahead at a surprisingly fast pace, so if you had to pick a time to restore the interest rate to a more normal level now would be it I suppose. Be careful with those LOCs out there 

On 4/5/2018 at 0:22 PM, la marzocco said:

"Our view is that the Bank of Canada will hike its overnight rate to 2.25% by the first half of 2019 and we expect longer-term rates to rise in tandem.

http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/_assets-custom/pdf/20180405-ha.pdf

This would mean the big banks' prime is going to be about 4.45%. The LOCs will be going at about 4.2% give or take.

About to start residency and from the looks of it, seems like a better idea to use any extra money I earn to pay down my LOC rather than putting it into a TFSA.

9 hours ago, FMinterview said:

About to start residency and from the looks of it, seems like a better idea to use any extra money I earn to pay down my LOC rather than putting it into a TFSA.

We are heading back to more normal rates now - I have to say I a bit worried of the impact it will have for people going through now (higher tuition rates than what I paid not that long ago - as in 10K extra a year even which is just nuts - plus high interest rates). 

It is all dumb luck but I am extremely happy from that aspect that I went through when I did - low rates, lower tuition, more tax credits...

Give it some thought and figure out what is going to work for you.

3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

We are heading back to more normal rates now - I have to say I a bit worried of the impact it will have for people going through now (higher tuition rates than what I paid not that long ago - as in 10K extra a year even which is just nuts - plus high interest rates). 

It is all dumb luck but I am extremely happy from that aspect that I went through when I did - low rates, lower tuition, more tax credits...

Give it some thought and figure out what is going to work for you.

And decent match rates.... the "golden age" of medical education haha

57 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

And decent match rates.... the "golden age" of medical education haha

Ha - you know that is what we said about the people before us :) Even lower tuition, still low rates, newspaper screaming we need more doctors now, nobody trying to cut fees on everything every single time, all manner of bonuses if you wanted to be a family doctor.......

This stuff does seem to come in somewhat of cyclic pattern

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

Ha - you know that is what we said about the people before us :) Even lower tuition, still low rates, newspaper screaming we need more doctors now, nobody trying to cut fees on everything every single time, all manner of bonuses if you wanted to be a family doctor.......

This stuff does seem to come in somewhat of cyclic pattern

Geez, I can only imagine what kind of fantasy the generation before them where living in! :P

10 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

"Just give penicillin for everything! And bill MSP $$$$"

If my infectious disease tutor is to be believed, isn't it the same thing now but with tazocin instead of penicillin? Haha!