Premed 101 Forums

Chances 2018-2019 cycle

1) Is it a 1-year Master's? Because if its a 2 year research-based masters then you have 0 chance of getting an interview next year.

2) What do you think your chances are? You have a 3.98 GPA so you must be pretty smart. I'm pretty sure if you spend 3 seconds looking around this site you will find your answer.

• 1 month later...

3.995 GPA 

Just finished second year, will be a third year applicant.

Two third author publication in ~3.0 impact factor journals. 

One reference from professor who I worked with for 1.5 years. One reference from a prof who Worked closely with for org. One reference from poetry organization.

Mcat: writing this summer. High focus on CARS. 130+ in the practice so far. 

EC's- I think they are okay, but I do need more empathy stuff.

Founder and executive director of a not-for-profit with 8 branches over three countries. Education.

Founder and president of poetry organization that worked with university students and minority communities on art stuff (ambiguous sorry ; - ; ) 

Co-Founder of project for treating accessibility challenges of people with neuroodegenreate disorders. Several partnerships- have a working prototype. Love this project tbh.

President of local branch of charity that provides heart surgery to kids in Africa.

MSF exec, with a focus on health research.

Editor for science magazine at my university. 

Just helping around with a CRISPR lab for 6 months. I don't know if I should even include this because it's real short term. 

Long term hospital volunteering. 

Sprinkles of shadowing ~40 hours

Highschool Ec's: 

Founder of STEM Outreach organization. $10,000+ in grants. 

Worked with kids- just thought them and mentored and played games. I really wish I could continue this into university but I didn't find something quite like it. 

Fun EC's: 

Poetry: Doing poetry for 8 years. Publishing on website. A couple of publications. 

Ran with a local running team. Pretty decent running times and awards, but nothing superb really.

Google guide, 4 years. 700,000 photo views. Helped with get togethers. Can i even include this??

Possible weakness: Lack of cookie-cutter volunteering. Difficult to show empathy. 

You have a decent shot, however being a 3rd yr applicant, anything can happen. Definitely worth a shot especially as applying will give you insight to application process and any Interview will be a bonus experience regardless of the outcome.

1 hour ago, RandomBeaver said:

3.995 GPA 

One reference from professor who I worked with for 1.5 years. One reference from a prof who Worked closely with for org. One reference from poetry organization.

Founder and executive director of a not-for-profit with 8 branches over three countries. Education.

Founder and president of poetry organization that worked with university students and minority communities to create art that can help improve their condition.

Co-Founder of project for treating accessibility challenges of people with neuroodegenreate disorders. Several partnerships- have a working prototype. Love this project tbh.

President of local branch of charity that provides heart surgery to kids in Africa.

Just helping around with a CRISPR lab for 6 months. I don't know if I should even include this because it's real short term. 

Highschool Ec's: 

Fun EC's: 

Poetry: Doing poetry for 8 years. Publishing on website. A couple of publications. 

Ran with a local running team. Pretty decent running times and awards, but nothing superb really.

Google guide, 4 years. 700,000 photo views. Helped with get togethers. Can i even include this??

Possible weakness: Lack of cookie-cutter volunteering. Difficult to show empathy. 

Those are some solid ECs- nice work. Definitely include your 'fun ECs'.  Best of luck on your MCAT, if that's solid you have a great chance.

3 minutes ago, helicase said:

Those are some solid ECs- nice work. Definitely include your 'fun ECs'.  Best of luck on your MCAT, if that's solid you have a great chance.

Haha thank you. I am just so worried that they won't even give me an interview- any advice on writing the ABS? Is there anything I should add? Maybe a tinge of extra volunteering? Haha would they care about google guides? It's honestly such a cute extracurricular lol but I don't know what goes through their minds. 

20 minutes ago, RandomBeaver said:

Haha thank you. I am just so worried that they won't even give me an interview- any advice on writing the ABS? Is there anything I should add? Maybe a tinge of extra volunteering? Haha would they care about google guides? It's honestly such a cute extracurricular lol but I don't know what goes through their minds. 

when you got your first draft you can send me it, i dont mind going over it. Utilize CANmed roles when writing them, while also writing what you did/learned. Fun ECs are actually a good thing, and being non-cookie cutter is an extremely good thing. Queens especially likes that aka me ;).

3 hours ago, RandomBeaver said:

3.995 GPA 

Founder and president of poetry organization that worked with university students and minority communities to create art that can help improve their condition.

Highschool Ec's: 

Fun EC's: 

I know this is posted in the UofT thread, but I'd suggest applying to more than UofT out of 3rd year.  Definitely try uOttawa, since your GPA is quite high.  

Also, your EC's are definitely good.  I understand why you think it looks odd that you don't have "classic volunteering / classic empathy work" but it's fine for now.  You should 100% apply because you have a good shot right now, and if you don't get in, you'll have an even better shot next time around.  

In terms of improving, continue your ongoing ECs to build the duration and relationship.  Start doing more classic/empathic activities, not only for your application, but for you to grow as an individual and understand medicine a bit more.

4 hours ago, IMislove said:

when you got your first draft you can send me it, i dont mind going over it. Utilize CANmed roles when writing them, while also writing what you did/learned. Fun ECs are actually a good thing, and being non-cookie cutter is an extremely good thing. Queens especially likes that aka me ;).

what @IMislove said!  ;)

Archived