Premed 101 Forums

uOTTAWA MOCK INTERVIEWS 2014

Hello everyone!

Congratulations on your interview!! The first year medical students at the University of Ottawa will be hosting mock interviews for those who received interview invites. THIS IS STUDENT RUN AND IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE FACULTY. This is a tradition that first year medical students do.

The mock interview dates are listed below. It will be a traditional style interview (not MMI) and the panel will consist of 3-4 medical students. The interview format is a 40 min mock interview and 20 min feedbacks from the medical students (1 hour long). They will be held at Roger Guindon in Ottawa.

The signup sheet will be made available to you on Tuesday February 4th at 5 p.m!

Link and email address will be provided at that time.

Mock interview dates/times:

Tuesday, February 18th 4-7 pm

Wednesday, February 20th 1-4 pm

Wednesday, February 20th 4-7 pm

Thursday, February 20th 5-8 pm

Friday, February 21st 1-4 pm

Friday, February 21st 4-7 pm

Saturday, February 22nd 1-4 pm

Saturday, February 22nd 4-7 pm

The sign-up instructions are as follows:

1. Please sign-up for a time and day that works best for you; slots will fill quickly and changes will likely not be possible

2. Enter in your first initial and the last four digits of your phone number (e.g. "L4323"); this alphanumeric code will ensure confidentiality

3. Email with your alphanumeric code (e.g. "L4323") and name IN THE SUBJECT LINE in the following format: "Full name, Alphanumeric code, email"

4. Only sign-up for the language (French or English) that you applied

5. DO NOT delete someone's name under ANY circumstances; we are monitoring edits and you will be removed from the mock interview process if you are found to be doing this

6. Wait for us to contact you regarding next steps

Best of luck,

Talia and Natascha

Hello everyone!

Congratulations on your interview!! The first year medical students at the University of Ottawa will be hosting mock interviews for those who received interview invites. THIS IS STUDENT RUN AND IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE FACULTY. This is a tradition that first year medical students do.

The mock interview dates are listed below. It will be a traditional style interview (not MMI) and the panel will consist of 3-4 medical students. The interview format is a 40 min mock interview and 20 min feedbacks from the medical students (1 hour long). They will be held at Roger Guindon in Ottawa.

The signup sheet will be made available to you on Tuesday February 4th at 5 p.m!

Link and email address will be provided at that time.

Mock interview dates/times:

Wednesday, February 20th 1-4 pm

Wednesday, February 20th 4-7 pm

1. Please sign-up for a time and day that works best for you; slots will fill quickly and changes will likely not be possible

2. Enter in your first initial and the last four digits of your phone number (e.g. "L4323"); this alphanumeric code will ensure confidentiality

3. Email with your alphanumeric code (e.g. "L4323") and name IN THE SUBJECT LINE in the following format: "Full name, Alphanumeric code, email"

5. DO NOT delete someone's name under ANY circumstances; we are monitoring edits and you will be removed from the mock interview process if you are found to be doing this

Best of luck,

Talia and Natascha

This is amazing! And I am sure you meant Wednesday February 19th :P

Thank you so much. This is amazing. Unfortunately, I do not live in Ottawa, but I was wondering if you could tell us what the format for the interview so I can do some prep in Montreal?

Ottawa has a traditional interview panel. That means it is a 3 to 1 interview. There will be one 4th year medical student, one faculty member and one community member. The interview is around 60 minutes in length, leaving you some time to ask questions at the end of the interview. It will be a combination of ethical + personal questions. My suggestions would be to REALLY know your ABS. They asked me questions from my ABS that were from high school and weren't in my top 5 (top 3 for your year). So that means anything is fair game. Also, we have been known to have "good cop bad cop", so if that happens to you, don't get rattled. Stay your course of action and proceed. The best way to prepare is to know yourself, and to not stress. It's a fun interview and the people are really nice!

It sounds so helpful and advantageous to attend one of these

practice sessions...I would even consider flying all the way from

Winnipeg to spend those 3 hours with the first year med students.

I just wonder, would there be a way that students

who live quite far away could be accommodated in case they can't make it?

Like a Skype conference call?

This is a good question, but I don't see how we will easily be able to accommodate many people who are OOP. I would suggest you ask a professor (that you know well), to get three of his/her colleagues to interview you for an hour. You're going to want to get asked theses questions by people who you don't know very well. (if they know you, they are more likely to be biased)

Even 1-2 people would help.

Some classic questions that are ask during panel interviews can be found here: http://www.mun.ca/cdel/career_students/medicine_questions.php

I interviewed at MUN last year and found their interview composition very similar to the one I had at uOttawa.

Hope this helps,

GP

I agree. As an OOP interviewee I'm actually considering flying to Ottawa just to attend these mock interviews because nothing beats practicing with med students who have went through the same process and also practicing in the same environment as the actual interview. Would there be any opportunity to arrange a mock interview day over skype for out of province students who got an interview at Ottawa?

Hey guys,

To those of you who aren't in Ottawa and can't make the mock interviews, don't fret. Yes, I'm sure the mock interviews are helpful, but if finances and/or travel time are a concern for you, if it were me, I wouldn't travel that far for a mock interview. Many universities' career services departments allow you to arrange a mock interview with them (as I found out after my Ottawa interview :P), and practicing with family and friends, as well as people from PM101 over Skype, is helpful, as well.

However, my biggest piece of advice would be to spend a lot of time thinking and reflecting. Think about why you want to be a doctor. Think about who you are and why you think that you, with all your uniqueness (or not), would be a great doctor. Think about what you value - in general, and with regards to medical ethics. Read about medical ethics. Read about the Canadian health care system. Read about current events.

I truly believe that introspection is the most important part of preparing for any medical school interview. It will give you confidence that you know yourself. It will allow you to easily extrapolate your values to any scenario they give you. It will make you genuine.

Having said that, mock interviews can indeed be helpful, and maybe I'll see some of you in Ottawa this month!

Best of luck everyone :)

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your interest. Please note that unfortunately, we will not be offering the mock interviews via SKYPE or telephone. Also, as i said the link and email address will be posted here!

Here are the dates again:

Wednesday, February 19th 1-4 pm

Wednesday, February 19th 4-7 pm

All the best,

Talia

Just wondering for mock interviews do people usually dress in the same attire they would for the normal interview? I know I will be traveling by bus if I come to this so I am just wondering if I need to haul my dress clothes with me or if it is not necessary for this? Thanks.

Email: uottawamockinterviews@gmail.com

Link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgOdphcreOoCdE9nUWJtZ0xlMk5RbEFOOFFNQTBCblE#gid=0

3. Email uottawamockinterviews@gmail.com with your alphanumeric code (e.g. "L4323") and name IN THE SUBJECT LINE in the following format: "Full name, Alphanumeric code, email"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgOdphcreOoCdE9nUWJtZ0xlMk5RbEFOOFFNQTBCblE#gid=0

Best of luck,

Talia and Natascha

Just wondering for mock interviews do people usually dress in the same attire they would for the normal interview? I know I will be traveling by bus if I come to this so I am just wondering if I need to haul my dress clothes with me or if it is not necessary for this? Thanks.

Yes you should wear whatever you are planning on wearing to the interview.

We will be treating this like a real interview, so to get the full benefit of it you should also have that same attitude.

It's always good to get comfortable in your interview clothes!

Yes you should wear whatever you are planning on wearing to the interview.

We will be treating this like a real interview, so to get the full benefit of it you should also have that same attitude.

It's always good to get comfortable in your interview clothes!

Hmmph, I won't have a suit in the city yet at that time so I will just dress as fancy as possible given the circumstances?

Hey guys ! Thanks again for hosting the mocks, it is super appreciated ! I was just wondering, when are we supposed to hear from you via e-mail ? I signed up and sent an e-mail to the adress provided but got no answer yet, is it normal ??

We have an exam on Monday so don't expect anything until after this.

Archived