Premed 101 Forums

LOC Proof of enrollment

Has anyone been able to get a LOC without confirmation of enrolment? I asked U of T for proof and they said they don't provide it until August, but how are we supposed to get an apartment and pay for other things before then since OSAP isn't until much later?

I got mine before I received the confirmation of enrollment at the TD Branch at University Ave and Dundas Street last year. All I had to bring in was the letter of acceptance, and Jennifer Scott did everything else.

I personally struggled with this last year. The university does not provide confirmation of enrollment until August and very very few banks are willing to give you the LOC until then. I went with Scotiobank in Hamilton (the only branch willing to do it). So your best bet is to call around and see who's gonna do it. I spent hours on the phone trying to find the various branches.

It's unfortunate that the school expects you to be well off enough to afford major expenses prior to starting school. I asked them many times and they refused to offer the letter so your best bet is to find a lenient bank or wait until August.

I understand that last year U of T was a little surprised by the bank's stricter requirements, but preventing students from accessing an LOC early when they had advanced warning seems unnecessarily difficult of them. Hope you guys get it figured out!

I've talked to them repeatedly about this and their argument was that you are not officially enrolled until August (which is when OSAP grants its deferral etc which are necessary parts of registration) and they can't offer proof of enrollment until that is done. It's kinda ridiculous but oh well.

I've talked to them repeatedly about this and their argument was that you are not officially enrolled until August (which is when OSAP grants its deferral etc which are necessary parts of registration) and they can't offer proof of enrollment until that is done. It's kinda ridiculous but oh well.

The banks in Calgary also asked for proof of enrollement, which we also can't get till just before classes, but Calgary just provided us with a letter confirming acceptance and expected start date. None of the banks had a problem with it. Not sure why other schools couldn't do the same.

I went with a Scotia bank in downtown Toronto and they didn't ask me for proof of enrollment. The acceptance letter was all they asked from me.

wow are you serious? I had a nightmare of a time with those guys!

wow are you serious? I had a nightmare of a time with those guys!

you weren't the only one. Change in policy or just someone that doesn't fully know the rules?

The reason for the issues in general is that someone got a letter of acceptance in the past, simply withdrew the 250K and left the country (according to some bank representatives I have met with in the past). As you can imagine that is quite the loss - not a lot of margin on these loans really. Made the banks more careful.

Archived