Premed 101 Forums

Is a collarless white coat acceptable?

hvem

Probably. Clerks usually wear hip-length white coats, so as long as that's the case I don't see why anyone would care if yours didn't have a collar. I rarely wear mine, only for OSCEs and the odd time when on our clinical experiences during coursework. I think in clerkship certain rotations may ask you to wear one for the few weeks you are with them, but otherwise you really don't use it much anyways.

6 hours ago, freewheeler said:

Probably. Clerks usually wear hip-length white coats, so as long as that's the case I don't see why anyone would care if yours didn't have a collar. I rarely wear mine, only for OSCEs and the odd time when on our clinical experiences during coursework. I think in clerkship certain rotations may ask you to wear one for the few weeks you are with them, but otherwise you really don't use it much anyways.

this white coat thing is so variable - I wore my a grand total of two times - once in the white coat ceremony and once for the LMCC part 2. 

I had to wear the white coat during my clinical skills sessions in first year med, then didn't touch it again for years until the 4th year exit OSCE, then one more time where I just picked up a random white from the hospital, ripped off the badge, wore it for the LMCC 2, then sewed the badge back on and left it back on the rack. I don't think anyone will notice what kind of white coat you wear to be honest.

29 minutes ago, Mithril said:

I had to wear the white coat during my clinical skills sessions in first year med, then didn't touch it again for years until the 4th year exit OSCE, then one more time where I just picked up a random white from the hospital, ripped off the badge, wore it for the LMCC 2, then sewed the badge back on and left it back on the rack. I don't think anyone will notice what kind of white coat you wear to be honest.

funny side note - one person in my year tried to used it a lab coat for the cadaver lab (which I suppose would have saved her 20 dollars). The lab coordinator happened to be an admin who did not react so well to that. 

these coats....not that special. The idea of what a white coat ceremony is but not the actual coat.

• 1 month later...

Archived