Premed 101 Forums

Equipment for first years

Guest saskmedman

Guest saskmedman

Hey newbies!

I just wanted to post an add here to you new guys for a few items I will be selling.

One thing you unfortunately will have to purchase is a microscope. They changed the curriculum this year, but unfortunately one thing they forgot to phase out is the microscopy. I will be selling an old microscope for $250.00, the cheapest you will find. When you start school you will be given a list of used microscopes, but they go fast and I guarantee you will not find one less than $300.00 so I'm really doing someone a favor here. I do have to admit though that the stage does sometimes tend to slide down a bit. It's a minor inconvenience, you just need to keep your hand on the dial to keep it from sliding down. Even if you paid to have it repaired I'm sure it wouldn't bring the total cost of the scope over $300.00 so let me know if you want it. MY e-mail is at the end of this post.

I am also looking to sell a brand new never-been-used stethoscope. This is obviously something you need to buy. At the beginning of the school year a representative from Schaan Healthcare Products will come in and sell you all the stethoscopes, reflex hammers, etc. that you need. You will not likely find a used stethoscope for sale, nor would you really want to, so you pretty much have to go new, unless you know someone. I have a stethoscope that I bought after searching for my first one for over a month. When I decided it was gone forever, I went out and bought a new one. When I returned home I was horrified to discover that my wife had found it buried in our son's toy box. So it is, as I said, brand new and never been used. I will however, sell it at a shade below the price of what the Schaan guy will, because I know there's way to much to pay for in medical school. It is a Littman Cardiology III, which is what 99% of us meds use. It is still in it's box with all the little attachments and everything, plus the heart sounds CD for your study purposes.

If anyone is interested my e-mail is rschubert@sasktel.net. Please drop me a line if you want to know more about these items or what else you need to buy. I will also be selling textbooks on this forum, but I will post those closer to the start of school.

Rod

hey saskmedman

I'm sure that someone wants your equipment :P but i don't think people have gotten their equipment/textbook lists yet. I know I haven't got mine yet, so i don't know what I need. Do you know when they send that?

Guest saskmedman

Hey goku,

You won't be getting a list of books/equipment. They just tell you on the first day of each class what you need for that class. I have started hearing rumors that microscopes will not be used, so no one try to make me an offer on that right now. But you will need a stethoscope, there's no way around that. You can wait until your classmates all order theirs from Schaan, but I am selling a brand new one for less than what Schaan will be selling them so I suggest someone take advantage of this. Trust me, med school is expensive. Every little bit helps. I also just realize my email in my post above was wrong, so if anyone tried emailing me I apologize. Please try again. I have corrected my address above.

Rod

hey whatever

how do you know what equipments are needed? how bout tuition? as of now, i don't have an exact figure for that as well. should I? i think that i'm so glad that I got in that I haven't really done much to prepare :)

Guest saskmedman

Hey Goku,

You don't know how much tuition is? I gather you must have registered by now, and tuition is printed on the registration sheet. Anyway, tuition went up another 7.5% this year so we are now paying a whopping $9,774.00 There are ways to reduce it slightly. For example you are allowed to opt out of the student health and dental plan IF you can prove you have some other coverage.

As to equipment, you will never get a list of what you need, but you sound like you really want one!;) So I'll list below what you will be expected to buy, but don't go and get any of it yet. The Schaan Healthcare Products people will come to you! Here's what you'll need:

- stethoscope, you can use any kind you can get your hands on, but most students opt to buy their own Littman Cardio III

- Queen's head reflex hammer, as well as on ordinary orange triangle one

- two tuning forks (I forget what frequencies they are)

- a good measuring tape

- a penlight

These are the essentials, however some people decide to also get an opthalmoscope, which is a huge mistake. They are available in almost every room in every hospital, so don't bother buying one. They are $$$$ and not worth it. Also some people like to get their own blood pressure cuffs. These are also easily found in the hospital and it's kinda crazy to buy one I think.

As for textbooks, just wait for your first day of classes and every prof will tell you what you need. You then get to wait in line at the bookstore for about an hour and get all of them. Before you buy books also, the upper years will have a big sale of old textbooks for you guys and a lot of first years are able to get almost all their books in near-mint condition at a much cheaper price.

Hope that sets your mind at ease Goku. If you're wanting a deal on a stethoscope to get that one thing out of the way, send me an email to the address above.

Rod

Archived