Premed 101 Forums

Recorded Lectures in Medical School?

I think most schools have recordings of lectures however the policy on mandatory class varies. When I went through Queen’s they still didn’t record the lectures due to some political debate on how it would affect class attendance and participation. I’m not sure if they have started recording lectures now. Regardless there is a significant amount of the day that is comprised of mandatory group sessions that you cannot/should not miss. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, Aetherus said:

I think most schools have recordings of lectures however the policy on mandatory class varies. When I went through Queen’s they still didn’t record the lectures due to some political debate on how it would affect class attendance and participation. I’m not sure if they have started recording lectures now. Regardless there is a significant amount of the day that is comprised of mandatory group sessions that you cannot/should not miss. 

Lecturers can opt-in for the recording, but for this semester, there were only like 5 lectures that were recorded. All the other lecturers either did not want to be recorded or (most likely) never saw the email to opt-in. Pretty sure UGME has an opt-in system rather than an opt-out by design to decrease the number of lectures that are recorded. Most class time is group sessions anyways where attendance is mandatory.

Edit: lecture slides are almost always posted.

2 hours ago, xiphoid said:

Lecturers can opt-in for the recording, but for this semester, there were only like 5 lectures that were recorded. All the other lecturers either did not want to be recorded or (most likely) never saw the email to opt-in. Pretty sure UGME has an opt-in system rather than an opt-out by design to decrease the number of lectures that are recorded. Most class time is group sessions anyways where attendance is mandatory.

Ouch. That sucks.

At the University of Alberta, it's opt-out, with non-mandatory (lecture) attendance. Most lectures are recorded, except for a few, but the profs will still provide slides -- the problem is that we don't find out they're not vodcasted until the day of (thus far we've only had 2 lectures where the prof refused to provide slides + refused to be recorded... thankfully one of our classmates basically transcribed the whole thing like a beast). We also have access to previous years' lecture recordings, going all the way back to 2014 or something. It's mandatory for profs teaching GI block to be recorded, but otherwise it's entirely up to the prof's discretion

4 hours ago, insomnias said:

Ouch. That sucks.

At the University of Alberta, it's opt-out, with non-mandatory (lecture) attendance. Most lectures are recorded, except for a few, but the profs will still provide slides -- the problem is that we don't find out they're not vodcasted until the day of (thus far we've only had 2 lectures where the prof refused to provide slides + refused to be recorded... thankfully one of our classmates basically transcribed the whole thing like a beast). We also have access to previous years' lecture recordings, going all the way back to 2014 or something. It's mandatory for profs teaching GI block to be recorded, but otherwise it's entirely up to the prof's discretion

At Mac they basically won't let the lecturer present unless they're willing to be recorded, and lectures are never mandatory (in pre-clerkship). You can probably guess how many people go to lecture...

Archived