Premed 101 Forums

Specializing after dental school with sh* marks

41 minutes ago, ricktheshambler said:

Perio is hella competitive. Dalhousie gets like 100+ applicants every year for 3 spots. 

Its not that competitive in the US at least. People tend to match to it pretty easily (one person from my graduating class matched with a GPA in the low 3s). It also isn't a highly sought out specialty these days. Only 2 people applied to it from my graduating class some years ago (compared to the 15+ that applied to ortho, 10+ for OMFS, etc). 

Also, 100 applications for 3 spots isn't really considered competitive. You need to consider the total number of spots in the country available for that specialty. As a comparison, most OMFS programs are receiving 300+ applications for ~2-3 spots. Anecdotally, this past interview cycle at the program I'm training at we had 317 applications for 3 spots.  

So its all relative. I'm not saying you can stroll into perio programs, but its far from the most competitive and can end being the most expensive. 

I have no intention of turning this into a OMFS vs Perio pissing contest.

3 hours ago, Negura Bunget said:

It probably depends on the specialty.  Some are more competitive than others. I'd assume Ortho, OMFS are pretty competitive. I don't know anything about Endo. Perio I'd assume is not very competitive.

But don't some programs look at last few years? Technically if you kill the last few years you could. 

5 hours ago, LightningBoltz said:

But don't some programs look at last few years? Technically if you kill the last few years you could. 

I can only speak for OMFS, but I don’t know of any programs or heard of any programs cherry picking the last two years. Also, for most schools your GPA is pretty much determined after the first ~2 years, at least the bulk of it. 

For OMFS applications to the US, a GPA >3.85 and a CBSE >70 are pretty much a nessesity for Canadians applying to OMFS. 

1 hour ago, Negura Bunget said:

I can only speak for OMFS, but I don’t know of any programs or heard of any programs cherry picking the last two years. Also, for most schools your GPA is pretty much determined after the first ~2 years, at least the bulk of it. 

For OMFS applications to the US, a GPA >3.85 and a CBSE >70 are pretty much a nessesity for Canadians applying to OMFS. 

I think some would even say a CBSE > 75-80 is necessary these days with the competition for Canadians...but i think for other specialities, the ADAT can help balance out GPAs to an extent. 

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

I think some would even say a CBSE > 75-80 is necessary these days with the competition for Canadians...but i think for other specialities, the ADAT can help balance out GPAs to an extent. 

I would agree with that. 75 is probably a better goal. It’s getting harder and harder to match at a Canadian to OMFS and the CBSE are trending upwards. 

Anecdotally, of the Canadians that I know that matched over the past 5 years, average CBSE was ~78. 

Archived