Premed 101 Forums

LMCC 2 Results

1 hour ago, Aetherus said:

I think these are two separate issues. I’m not talking about residency equivalence which determines if your residency training is considered equivalent but talking about if your medical degree is recognized in the state you are working in. You are correct that there are certain discrepancy in residency training that restricts your ability to practice certain specialities with canadian training. I think you are confounding doing the USMLE to get a H1b visa instead of a J1 which in certain states requires the USMLE (Florida is one that comes to mind). However getting an H1b visa and having your medical license recognized by the states are two separate issues. I do thing n the LMCC plays a role although a very small one. If I’m wrong, please provide me with information disputing what I’m saying and I will gladly change my stance.

Some states do consider the LMCCs equivalent to the US MLEs for licensing purposes according to this link (https://ilw.com/articles/2002,1029-siskind.shtm).  

In terms of portability though, Visas are all regulated at the federal level, not at the state level.  The J-1 is an educational/training visa can be obtained with LMCCs and without MLEs, but the main work/immigration visa is the  H1B which does require US MLEs for every state - the LMCC isn't accepted https://workpermit.com/immigration/usa/us-h1b-visa-foreign-doctors 

I've heard of O1 visas being issued for Canadian physicians, but I'm not sure how common that is - physicians can also apply for Green Cards.  In both these cases, I think that the licensing would then depend on whether the state accepts the LMCCs as equivalent.    

In terms of optics for contract negotiation, I think the most important factor is the recognition of Royal College programs in most cases.  This recognition is limited though, as actually working as staff in the US would most likely involved sitting the US MLEs.  So, in some sense, the LMCC plays a limited role in the overall equivalence of Canadian and US training, but mostly at the training (ie fellowship) level.  

On 11/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, GH0ST said:

The problem is that the MCC has shown in their official communication statement that they have zero intention of cancelling the exam and also insulted residents across the country, stating that the desire to cancel the exam is misinformed or misunderstood (I forgot the specific wording). I'm beginning to think unless there's a massive boycott of the exam across the country that this exam will never be eliminated. That said, I doubt many residents would take that risk and would rather just buckle down and finish asap. 

- G 

"opportunistic and poorly informed" were the words they used lol

Parasites.