Premed 101 Forums

How much are you working or doing research outside of class?

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

For those current students,

How many of you are working or doing research outside of your class time?

I see we have IST a few times a week, is this protected time? Or is there a chance we will have our small groups in these times? Could I schedule work in those times?

Also I see there is a Core A and Core B groups and ComA and Com B groups? What does that stand for and what is taught during those times? Communication, community????

Also when is medschool tuition due? I can't seem to find that on the site? I know how much it is but not when it's due.

ahh so many questions, so little time.......

Guest MDintraining

IST happens about three half days a week. Your group of 5 students may schedule their required sessions for history taking/physical examination skills/or visits to a doctor's clinic during that time. On the other hand, these could be scheduled on evenings. Best bet is to volunteer to be the group leader for your group when you are assigned in August. It is a lot of work scheduling and trying to coordinate 5 students and 1 doc's schedules, but in return you can be sure about the dates and times you don't want to have booked.

I happen to know a current med student who has worked as a part-time flight attendant and another who finished and submitted her thesis during medical school here. So it is definitely possible. I think you will be overwhelmed for the first few months, but by Christmas you'll start to feel like you know what is going on and how much you need to study.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

I know that there are a few of us who have fairly active research endeavours on the go outside of class and quite a few papers that have been published within the first couple of years of medical school. There are also, as alluded to above, a few folks who have been working on MSc or PhD work/theses while in school, or who are very active post docs. Most of the folks I know who have done this have regretted taking on the two programmes simultaneously as both, medicine, and graduate work can be demanding individually and it can be tough to do both well when tackled together.

Tuition due date: I can't be sure, but September sounds about right for the first installment (the second installment is due in January or so).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived