Premed 101 Forums

OOPs, Let's Play the Speculation Game

Guest kaymcee

Guest kaymcee

62.517(GPA) + 12.122(VR) + 6.757(BS)

Last year: top 100 students above 455.93.

My score: 425.87.

This year: top 150 students above...?

Should I toss my $120 into the ring and give 'er a shot?

Guest ubcredfox

Hey,

I think i'm gonna puke personally - I thought I made the cut offs last year, but with this "new" formula my numbers are: 455.12 (a) or 450.70 if (a) i calculate my average in percentages than convert that using their stupid scale or (B) I convert each course percentage first, and than take a weighted average.

So ya, I don't know what to do too. Maybe the cut-off will be a little lower this year...but how much lower?

I'm sick of these damn apps, but I've already got LORs going out to UofC so, I think I owe my referees a completed app...

Don't know how far down the cut-offs will slide...if they slide at all...hrmm...maybe we ought to email admissions?

Guest kaymcee

No, don't e-mail admissions. What information would you expect they know and be willing to give to us?

I'd say go for it. With 50% more people being considered, the cutoff will surely slide at least a little.

Guest ubcredfox

I actually just did email admissions.

All I wanted clarification on was how they calculate the GPA - if I convert all my course grades, or just my final weighted average and, for UBC students, how many courses do they consider to be a full term...and if they drop any of the extras.

Guest Mazd A Mino

Kaymcee, I'm in the same boat as you. My total is just over 420. This seems a long way from 455.. but the cut-offs may change.

Is it worth it to apply?

Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Did anyone see the new weightings? Does that mean they are no longer using the OOP formula? If so, I wonder if I should apply. My GPA is very strong in my last two years, but overall is nothing special....Anyone have any ideas/insight?

They are still using the OOP formula except that they are using a lower cutoff this year so tat 150 people make it instead of 100 from last year. From these 150 people that make the cut, only 85 will be interviewed based on the 6 criteria set on their website (i.e. 50% based on entire undergrad transcript, 15% on MCAT, 25% extracurriculars, 5% essays, 5% employment history). Let's do an example:

Your scores are: 4.0 gpa over the last 2 years and 3.6 cgpa.

MCAT: 12PS, 10VR, 12BS, QWS

According to the OOP formula, you would have a score of 452.37

Lets's say the cut they set is 445 and you, along with 150 other people make the cut.

They will then rank all of these people based on the above criteria. Therefore, the high gpa weight for the entire academic record will weed out the applicants that have only a strong 2 year gpa and a weak overall gpa. Last year, people possibly were not interviewed who consistently had a high gpa (>3.8) over their 4 year degree because some people had a strong first 2 year gpa of 4.0 with a weak trend or vice versa and a high verbal score with a weak overall MCAT score. This format eliminates these pitfalls.

Disclaimer: This is my analysis and not based on actual, factual information.

Oh, annd based on these calculation, I would not apply OOP if you don't have a minimum composite score of 32/P ( with atleast 10 on VR and 12 on BS) on the MCAT and a cumulative gpa of 3.8...this is based on Westerns cutoffs from last year:

gpa min: 3.7

MCAT min's: 9PS, 10VR, 10BS, WS P Total : 29/P

This eliminated all but 430 people for interviews at Western, therefore it would take a lot higher than a 3.7 min gpa and 29P on the MCAT to get the total down to 150 people and then 85!

Guest geekpunk

Hmm... EGral, your analysis seems pretty convincing.

I'm not sure whether to apply now. I have an 8 in Verbal so that puts me pretty low thanks to the 12.353651616 coefficient for VR in the formula!

Also, I really don't have a very good employment record. It's only weighted 5%, but I haven't had a job since 1st year university.

Definetly leaning towards not applying, but my referees already sent my references in... :\

Guest kaymcee

Hi EGral,

Your take on the situation is interesting. The comparison to Western is a bit of a stretch, though.

Although my numbers aren't extremely competitive, I'm going to throw my hat in. This OOP formula is scaring people away, so here's hoping I might slip in under the wire.

Queen's also narrows there interview pool to approx. 400 people by setting their gpa cutoff to 3.6 something and MCAT to 32...I just have a hard time believing that they can't find 85 people in Canada with a high gpa and a high MCAT score...I hate this whole process...

Guest CrazyKath

Hey all,

I have no idea if this will help anyone or not, but what the hell. I remember scouring this forum for ANY info to deal with the stress of applications etc.

I was one of the last OOPs accepted off the waitlist last year. My interview went well (remind me to post my interview story when we get there... hilarious!) and my grades were ~3.7 ave? I had a hideous first year (I blame beer) but my grades were all A- to A+ in upper levels. MCAT was 14 in Bio and 13 Verbal.

So take that however you want. I was 2nd last to get in off the waitlist (by the skin of my teeth) with those stats.

Useless? Probably....

Guest geekpunk

Aw hell, I'll toss in my $120.

I feel slightly better after properly calculating my score according to the crazy formula. Turns out I was doing it wrong all along (no wonder I got that B- in Calculus in 1st-year :P ).

So now instead of my total score being ~430, it's ~442. Hopefully that might break the Top150.

Not too confident in getting in the Top85 for an interview though, since I'm lacking bigtime in employment history and it seems like that's a big thing at UofC (1 of the 6 pre-interview criteria!). My other 5 criteria seem decent though. So whatever, dispatching the "Must-Sign Form" tommorow. Go Flames Go.

Edit: Does the "Must-Sign" form have to be IN by November 1st or simply postmarked by then? It certainly seems like they mean it should be received by the way they state it. Might have to dish out the ~$8 and XPress-Post it tommorow!

Archived